Amazing Heat Distribution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
Having a better wood supply this year is making a TON of difference in my ability to heat with the stove...IN THE BASEMENT!

I have an old Jotul 118 and it is installed downstairs, in the uninsulated walk-out basement, and the heat's only paths to upstairs would be through the floor and an open basement door. It takes about one load of wood to heat the basement well (in the current climate), but after that, I'm getting great heat upstairs. Our first floor is 1637 sq.ft. and the basement is under the entire house, save 1 room. I've shut the door to that room - it is much colder in there. Granted, our lows have been just above freezing, but I'm easily keeping the first floor living area and two bedrooms in the low 70's! This is without even really keeping up and 'working' at the woodstove.

My wife has been so impressed by it that she is considering letting me bring the current stove upstairs until we can afford the one we want. I told her if that stove was upstairs, we could cut our fuel oil consumption by at least 2/3rds. I bet we could totally heat with wood with that stove. The more I learn about running the stove, the longer and cleaner burns I'm getting. I went outside earlier to look at the chimney and saw 0 (ZERO) smoke coming out! You could only see the translucent waves of heat coming out of the chimney.

I knew someone who had a 118, they are a brilliant stove, it didn't have the modern airwash system, but it did have a baffle and when dialled down with dry wood, it could give overnight burns.

Wish I had bought one new years ago instead of living with an open fire until last year.

I could have been so much warmer and saved a bundle of wood ;-)

You have what sounds like an identical situation to mine. Same layout, same walkout and sized the same just slightly smaller. We have been able to heat exclusively on wood for the last 3yrs even though we've been burning a wood stove in the basement for 10yrs. My 1st floor has been running 73-76 degrees and thats doing pretty good considering we have 40 windows in our small house. 1st floor windows are mostly 6 footers too. When it gets real cold (like 0-10 above) I'll have to keep the basement at 80 to get 70 upstairs. So I'm really pushing my stove hard to heat a total of 2800sqft on 3 floors and 1000ft of it is concrete walled walkout basement. I'm telling you this because it can be done. However I too will eventually put a stove on the first floor. Then I can load it once a day and heat with just coals hehehehe.

brianbeech said:
My wife has been so impressed by it that she is considering letting me bring the current stove upstairs until we can afford the one we want. I told her if that stove was upstairs, we could cut our fuel oil consumption by at least 2/3rds. I bet we could totally heat with wood with that stove. The more I learn about running the stove, the longer and cleaner burns I'm getting. I went outside earlier to look at the chimney and saw 0 (ZERO) smoke coming out! You could only see the translucent waves of heat coming out of the chimney.

How could your spouse argue this? Arent you in this together? By "this" I mean making the most of your income and being comfortable during the cold months.

Loco Gringo said:
brianbeech said:

How could your spouse argue this? Arent you in this together? By "this" I mean making the most of your income and being comfortable during the cold months.

Seriously.

I'm rounding up the GF's. Time for a wake up call.

Status
Not open for further replies.