1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Amazing what a letter can do!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by NordicSplitter, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. Lumber-Jack

    Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,876
    Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Not likely in my lifetime. 94% of the land in my province (BC) is designated "Crown Lands", from which we have relatively open access to cut firewood from, with easily obtainable free firewood permits. Parks, private land, native reserves, and federal land make up all the remaining 6%.
    Mind you, you won't be finding any oak trees anywhere on that Crown Land. ;)
    Scols and Gasifier like this.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2011
    Messages:
    3,137
    Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    That must be sweet Lumber-Jack. So is most of the wood on those lands Pine? You must have some Ash that grows in there eh?
  3. nsfd95

    nsfd95 Burning Hunk

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    Messages:
    167
    Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    No. This Saturday at Brookhaven dump in yaphank they are giving away free firewood from sandy. They can't get the roads cleared but free wood for all. Ha ha
    Scols likes this.
  4. Lumber-Jack

    Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,876
    Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Pine, spruce, larch, and douglas fir are the most common types of trees here used for firewood. Deciduous trees that do grow locally are not usually used for firewood, because we are only permitted to cut dead or fallen trees, and most times you find dead or fallen deciduous trees they will be rotten or just not worth cutting (eg. cottonwood).
    I have never come across an ash tree, I think they may be a native type that grows along the extreme South West coast of BC, but then all kinds of trees grow there that won't grow anywhere else in BC. They even have large areas of wild bamboo growing there.
    The only other source of deciduous trees that typically might get used for firewood locally are trees that have been cultivated and irrigated by humans, like fruit wood from orchards, or trees grown in people's yards. That is where you might come across the odd ash or oak tree. Very rare for most, but some orchardist have a good supply of fruit wood to burn.
  5. MasterMech

    MasterMech Guest

    I live in apple country here and know of one particular orchard that offers up fire wood in 4x4 bins (3 ft high? and a lot of them, dozens.) all from orchard trees. Don't recall the price but it's high enough that it isn't tempting. Looks pretty dry tho. :)
  6. fabsroman

    fabsroman Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,011
    Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Of course it is pretty dry. With high prices, it means it sits for years, and year, and years .... (Just kidding, but seriously)
  7. fabsroman

    fabsroman Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,011
    Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yeah, I can see the arguing right now. Two people start on different ends of a log and argue over whose log it is. I had a lady that wanted me to deal with a 36"+ downed white oak in her backyard. She said a guy was already there working on it, but I was more than welcome to come and take some too. I told her to let me know when the other guy was done and I would take the rest. Told her 1) I don't like to work around people I don't know because of the potential for personal injury doing this stuff and 2) I don't want him or me to feel rushed to beat the other to certain pieces of wood.

    She e-mailed me the next day. That guy left everything over 24" in diameter and had no desire to come back for it. Ended up getting 4 full size truckloads from it.
  8. loadstarken

    loadstarken Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2012
    Messages:
    227
    Loc:
    Redmond, WA
    Dang no pictures yet!
    I really wanted to see his driveway clogged with wood!

    On the topic of fruit wood...... I have family that has 1000's and 1000's of acres of fruit orchards on the other side of the mountains that said I can have as much free wood as I want. I'm working on the brakes and the stake sides on my truck so I can start making runs over the mountain for 3 cords at a time! I can't wait!

Share This Page