1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ambiance Intrigue Thoughts

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by sirraf511, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sirraf511

sirraf511 New Member

Loc:
    KY
    Does anyone have opinions/thoughts on the Ambiance Intrigue model? I was looking at the Fireplace Xtrordinair 864HO and the dealer states the Intrigue is just as good, for less. The price difference is around $750. He also sells both models. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It doesn't look bad - but at the same time I never heard of it before. It looks like a private label or something similar done by a "buyers group". That does not mean it's bad, but you have to consider who is standing behind it. In the case of the Travis product, you have a company with a factory of 1/2 million sq ft, decades of history, a full R&D department, etc.

The question becomes what that's worth to you.
  3. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    The Great Pacific North Wet
    You hit that one on the head Webbie. Ambiance is a private label Kozy Heat.

Brad
  4. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    To the OP; In my opinion an Ambiance (Kozy) is not built nearly as well as the Fireplace Xtroidnair (Travis)

YMMV

Brad
  5. sirraf511

sirraf511 New Member

Loc:
    KY
    Thanks for the replies. I just found out I have a fireplace dealer right down the street from me. His main line is Town and Country. I think I will check them out as well. From what I've read, they are a nice fireplace very comparable to Fireplace X.
  6. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    A huge difference between Town & Country and FPX. T&C is purposely designed to be inefficient. It is designed mostly around commercial applications where they want a big flame and low heat output.

Check out a Mendota.

Brad
  7. sirraf511

sirraf511 New Member

Loc:
    KY
    We've looked at Mendota, but out of our price range. They are nice though.
  8. SteveG518

SteveG518 New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Having worked on both models I'd say the Travis unit is much more user and technician friendly. The Intrigue is beautiful and has an intricate log set, the small front row burner doesn't always light and adjusting air shutter requires complete disassembly because of that top brick. The Travis unit would be a much better long term investment IMHO.