Ambiance pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
Anyone have any comments on this brand? I found 100% hardwood and 100% soft locally. Although there website only shows hardwood.

Currently burning currans mix blend and not very impressed at all.

Attachments

• 1446499830156-1611464856.jpg
    1446499830156-1611464856.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 243
Burnt them a few years back heat was good
the ash not bad .
I ones I burnt were hard wood
Would use the again

Anyone have any comments on this brand? I found 100% hardwood and 100% soft locally. Although there website only shows hardwood.

Never heard of or tried Ambiance brand...However, I have tried Curran's and was very disappointed too. I so wanted them to turn out to be decent pellet as they're made a few hours away from me and I try and support local products. If you can find them, try Empire brand pellets made in Lafargeville, NY. Affordable, decent quality product that I've used for several years now. And best of all, they're made about 45 minutes from my house.

Bought 4 ton last year at $254 ea plus $10 per ton delivery. Toughted as a premium pellet, would have liked the La Crete option. Anyway, burned well, not a crap pellet for sure, but probably a bit less than a true premium pellet.

Burning a bag right now, I bought 3 last week to try. Ok heat ash is decent much better options out there imho. Try a few bags and see how they run in your stove. Never heard of their softwood version I know Valefi makes these and Orford which are both hardwoods, curious to see how their softwood pellets would burn. Keep up posted and post a pic of the softwood bag.

$269 a ton i believe now. I should be dropping a bag in tomorrow to see how they are.
I was hoping the currans would be good too since i am fairly close to them. But the ash seems to be outragious. Keep in mind i dont have any previous burns to compare it to other than a couple bags of penningtons i picked up from walmart. And i have to say they were awesome compared to currans.. almost no ash at all after 3 bags.
I may pick up a bag or 2 of the softwood tomorrow to try. I think they they were priced at $369. A pallet. I will snap a pic if i grab them.

If memory servers me a pallet was 1-1/2 tons

Never heard of or tried Ambiance brand...However, I have tried Curran's and was very disappointed too. I so wanted them to turn out to be decent pellet as they're made a few hours away from me and I try and support local products. If you can find them, try Empire brand pellets made in Lafargeville, NY. Affordable, decent quality product that I've used for several years now. And best of all, they're made about 45 minutes from my house.

I dont think i have ran across that brand yet.

I hadn't either, I'm now looking for a dealer for Ambiance; I'll give them a run. I'm located in the area of the Empire and Curran manufacturers also. The ideal choice, the Curran's softs available only at the factory in June/July are a shipping problem for me. Their other products Hards and Mix are OK, just not near the top of our list, so far. The Empire's weren't what we wanted, but I swore I'd give them another run, as the issue was with the hardness of the pellet. The pellets got pinched in the Auger and ran up the edge of the chute until the pellet broke, which made for a loud banging noise each time. An annoying noise and sure to wear out hardware sooner than later. They were pumping out pellets towards the end of the season last year to keep up with demand, it's only fair to try them again.

Any help with dealers in Ambiance?

Correction on the brand of the soft pellets. They are Orford. But still a Valfei product. Not sure why they have diff names.

Ambient, i am not sure of any dealers other than where i found these at a small pool dealer that took on selling pellet stoves as well.

I can more pics once i dump them in if anyone is curious how they look.

Attachments

• 1446574629615-1611464856.jpg
    1446574629615-1611464856.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 159
Correction on the brand of the soft pellets. They are Orford. But still a Valfei product. Not sure why they have diff names.

Ambient, i am not sure of any dealers other than where i found these at a small pool dealer that took on selling pellet stoves as well.

I can more pics once i dump them in if anyone is curious how they look.
I did some research looks like these are douglas fir pellets with pine and spruce mix. Maybe very good. Let us know

I did some research looks like these are douglas fir pellets with pine and spruce mix. Maybe very good. Let us know

Not sure when i will light them since its pretty warm out right now but one bag is in the hopper waiting.. they are anywhere from 1/4" - 1" a big diff from the currans at up too 2"

They have an off smell. I cant exactly describe it. Not harsh or anything.

Attachments

• 20151103_145505.jpg
    20151103_145505.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 159
Well i couldnt wait. They have only been burning 2 1/2 hours now but first impression... very impressive considering the way the currans burned.. keep in mind i have the stove idleing as low as possible since its still in the 50s. But i had to turn the lff down from 5 to 4 and there is still a better flame than the currans. Noticably a hotter burn as well. With the currans just idleing the convection fan would cycle off more than it would run.. right now its only shut off 3 times for maybe 20 minutes in the 2 1/2 hours. Right now my only concern or question is is how long is a bag going to take me. I got just shy of 35 hours from a bag of the curran hardwoods running on low. We will see...so far so good and thinking i need to fix my truck tomorrow so i can buy some more..

Reactions: Shane1
Right now my only concern or question is is how long is a bag going to take me. I got just shy of 35 hours fom a bag of the cuuran hardwoods running on low [/QUOTE]
That will all depend on the time of the year and how warm you want your house. I can tell you I go through about a bag and a half a day come Jan and Feb since I am running the stove 24/7 and keep the house around 72 degrees when I'm home and 67 when I'm not home.

I have been trying diff pellets the past couple weeks.. its been fairly mild here so far so i cant exactly run the stove.. its oversized for what i am trying to heat so its not going to be able to really burn untill the temps drop below freezing.

I still have 75 bags of Orford from last year and they are hardwood, so I think the branding of the Valfei products doesn't represent the kind of product, at least in the past. By the way, the Valfei plant is about 15 miles from my place! This year, the Okanagan platinum from BC (some 3000 miles away) were less expensive than the local product. Go figure! !!!

Ok so its been 24 hours running the orford soft pellets.. all i can say is wow. If they keep burning this way it would be amazing. Absolutely no ash. Glass is still just as clean as when i fired up the stove. Keep in mind i have this 25pdv feeding as slow as i can get it. (Ran at 2-1-1 for the most part..) As stated its been 24 hours now and guessing maybe another 6 hours worth in the bin. So being a more consistant smaller pellet they do feed and burn a bit faster than the currans i am comparing them to.
(Ended up getting 34 hours on low burn)
Long story short..great pellet so far. Atleast it seems my old stove likes them.

They will cost me about .52 cents more per bag than currans but i think its a no brainer.

I still need to try the ambiance hardwoods but i am betting they will be better than the ton of currans i am stuck with anyways so may pick up a unit of both.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.