American Energy Systems (Magnum) BC-DC questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

npompei

Oct 16, 2010
Warrington, PA
Hey guys, found a 2006 American Energy Systems (Magnum) multi fuel BC-DC pellet stove for $250. Apparently the fan motor is shot and it looks like it might need some tuning.

I tried searching for this stove but haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this stove?

And do you think it's a good stove to use as a backup in my basement? I use my St. Croix Greenfield as our main heat source in the living room. Just want this stove for extra cold days or even warmer days to run it along with or instead of the St. Croix.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Does the "BC" possibly mean a Baby Countryside? Is this it?

www.americanenergysystems.com/magnum-baby-countryside.cfm

Yes sir that's it! Only its the pedestal version. See I thought the "baby" models were newer but apparently not. So in my searches the BC never showed up anything.

I can't really find anything about what the DC means but oh well! These stoves seem pretty popular though? And do you think replacing the fan motor would be a tough job? And what about general maintenance on this bad boy?

Galaxy S3 - Locked...

BC stands for Baby Countryside, so search for that. And DC is the model. It can accept a battery back-up.

Lots of info on the Baby Countryside out there. My buddy has one. With a little work they can be good stoves, but they have initial burn problems. Low air flow to the pot.

Does the unit have a lot of black soot inside the firebox? Do you have any pics you can post?

BC stands for Baby Countryside, so search for that. And DC is the model. It can accept a battery back-up.

Lots of info on the Baby Countryside out there. My buddy has one. With a little work they can be good stoves, but they have initial burn problems. Low air flow to the pot.

Does the unit have a lot of black soot inside the firebox? Do you have any pics you can post?

Thanks man! Guy just told me he has someone coming to look at it tonight! Damn. Looks like I might miss out:(

Galaxy S3 - Locked...

Its a good price, but your more than likely gonna need to do some maintenance to get it to burn properly.

Even brand new they have burn issues. Cant go 12-24 hrs without the pot filling up with unburnt fuel. They sell a High CFM combustion blower and Pellet Pot that will help tremendously. Along with plugging up, some of the factory air wash.

If you can get it, do so. But just know its gonna need some gaskets changed and a slight mod to the air wash (along with noted parts above/not necessary / but highly recommended if you dont want a pellet build up issue).

IF you do get the stove, you might want to give a shout to Craig, the owner of this forum. IIRC, he has a Baby Countryside. he probably can get you squared away with tips on maintenance, proper settings, etc.

IF you do get the stove, you might want to give a shout to Craig, the owner of this forum. IIRC, he has a Baby Countryside. he probably can get you squared away with tips on maintenance, proper settings, etc.

He sold his to a member last year. IIRC

His was laid out. With the trim and all...

Hello

I am an authorized AES Magnum Dealer and Service rep now. Lots of experience with the Magnum BC. DC means the motors and fans work on Direct Current so it will run on a Deep Cycle 12 volt marine battery if the power fails. All fans and motors are OEM parts because they are DC but I can get them. I offer a 10% discount to Hearth.com members.
They still make the Magnum BC new today with many improvements now.

I have a AES Winchester DC which is a step bigger than the baby. As stated above it takes some tinkering with the air flow but after that its a nice stove. There was a post on here last year where somebody modified the burn pot to. get more air flow thru the bottom of the pot and it worked much better. May want to do a search for this.

Thanks guys for all of the great info. Looks like it sold in just a few hours. Oh well, it's one less thing to tinker with! Thanks again for all of the great info.

Status
Not open for further replies.