American havester pellet stove i need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensryan

Jan 29, 2016
Creston iowa
I just bought a used 6039 pellet stove i read a couple threads here on how to set it but im getting worried a guy told me the chimneys dont get hot on these and mines so hot i cant touch it and i felt the air coming out of the chimney and its realy hot so i have 2 concerns one am i going to burn my house down and 2 am i loosing alot of heat out of my chimney any help would be great i saw a guy screen name scoopdog but couldnt figure out how to sent him a message but in the thread i read he had some good info

I just bought a used 6039 pellet stove i read a couple threads here on how to set it but im getting worried a guy told me the chimneys dont get hot on these and mines so hot i cant touch it and i felt the air coming out of the chimney and its realy hot so i have 2 concerns one am i going to burn my house down and 2 am i loosing alot of heat out of my chimney any help would be great i saw a guy screen name scoopdog but couldnt figure out how to sent him a message but in the thread i read he had some good info

The stove exhaust will get hot, it just depends on how your feed rates are set as to how hot and when. Mine right now I can touch on HR1-HR3 with no discomfort. Higher than that then it starts to get to hot to leave your hand on for any length of time.

Is the stove installed using a thimble through the wall? I can help you through setting the feed rates better and the exhaust settings. You may be pulling to much air though it but I would have to know what board you have, 3 or 4 button? Fuel type, pellets or corn or something else? What is the design of the exhaust pipe, how far up/down, 45's, 90's, horizontal, vertical?

There is 3 buttons i only had it on heat seeting 3 when it got so hot i couldnt touch it and yes it goes threw a thimble it starts at the coupler comining out of the stove that go to 2 12 in twistable pipes into a 12 in strait pipe thats goes threw the thimble and that is all horizontal at a slight incline from the stove to the wall and on the outside there is anuther 12in pipe hooked into the 12 in peice in the thimble kooked to a tee with clean out and a 4ft pipe vertical with a 4 way pipe topper and im using just avg low ash pellets

I downloaded one on my phone but the unit didnt come with one

You will need to find what your feed rate is on the Highest and lowest setting and then what the exhaust is set on, on the highest and lowest exhaust setting. I'm trying to find the manual for the 3 button ABC board right now as I have the 4 button I don't know off the top of my head which buttons you have to push to find those settings.

I dont rember seeing anything in the manual about any of that but ill pull it back up after supper and read it again

Page 16 of the manual will tell you have to adjust the feed rate and exhaust, it looks like there is only up or down and not at the highest and lowest points. You will need to get your stove running nice without going out with the lowest auger/feed rate and the lowest exhaust rate. You should be able to touch that pipe until you get around HR4 and even then you will be able to touch it just not be able to leave your hand on it. If you have any kind of magnetic thermometer that you could use to see the difference that would help.

Also make small changes and wait 15-20 mins before changing anything again, and take notes so that you can quickly go back to a setting if needed.

20160129_190556.jpg

OK, you have the 4 button panel. Push the HR UP button and the AUX UP button at the same time, that will tell you what feed rate HR9 is set at. Then push the HR DOWN button and the AUX DOWN button at the same time, that will tell you what the HR1 setting is at.

Do the exact same thing with the DF up and down and AUX up and down buttons. This will give you the DF setting for the highest and lowest feed rates.

Ok the hr and au up is 6.00 and for whatever reason the down wont work it just shows the au and starts going down from auto the df and au up is 321 the df and au down is 285

Ok finaly got it hr and au down is 2.00
Good, for some reason those buttons are real touchy and you have to keep pushing them sometimes to get the numbers.

First that HR9 on 6.00 is 6lbs per hour. I've never found that to be of any use being that high. I have mine set at 5.00 which is 5lbs per hour. If you want to turn that number down push the HR UP and the AUX UP buttons together and when the 6.00 comes up push the AUX DOWN button until you get it where you want and then push the ON button for the change to take. This is the same way to change the HR1 setting but I'd leave that alone for right now.

Your DF setting are way to high, I would start by getting the DF UP set to around 280 and then the DF Down set at 240 and see how that works.

You also have the wrong manual for that control board. Search for the 6039HF manual that's the one you want.

Also are you running the RF room/convection fan on the highest setting or letting it automatically change with the HR settings? I and most people that I know run the RF manually on 9 all the time. That will take more heat out of the stove instead of it going out the pipe.

Also do you have an OAK/FAK hooked up? Outside air kit/fresh air kit.

Ok i will make those changes and yes i rans the air intake outside with a 3in flexable dryer vent i couldnt find a 2 in vent hose anywere so i made 3in work

So i made those changes but the chimney is still getting realy hot were i cant put my hand on it vary long and ive never set it on more the heatsettin 3 ive ben to scared to take it any higher then that cause of how hot the chimney is getting and you almost cant stick your hand infront of were it dumps out the chimney cause of how hot the air is

So i made those changes but the chimney is still getting realy hot were i cant put my hand on it vary long and ive never set it on more the heatsettin 3 ive ben to scared to take it any higher then that cause of how hot the chimney is getting and you almost cant stick your hand infront of were it dumps out the chimney cause of how hot the air is
What does your fire look like? Nice even lively burn or blowing like a torch? Are you using air from the OAK only or do you also use the damper under the firepot? Also, when you put your OAK in is the plug behind the firepot that goes to the OAK pipe removed or holes drilled into it?

Well ive ben adjusting it and i have a nice even look8ng fire the only setting ive ben playing with is the df up and df down i put a therm in the center of where hot air comes out the rf is on 9 everything else is on auto and hr is on 3 and i get between 137 and 140 degrees with the slide under belly pot opened 1/2 to 3/4 in and oak is a 3in dryervent threw the wall to a custamized dryer vent outlet right now my df up is 170 and df down is 130 thats were i got the hightest temp on the therm

Thats the flame on the setting i posted
You shouldn't have to use the damper under the firepot once the stove is lit. The only time I open that is when re-starting the stove after cleaning and then once it is burning after 10-15mins it is closed all the way, In fact there is a screw in the back of it that stops it from closing completely and I also have that removed.

You didn't say if you know that the plug behind the firepot to the OAK pipe is removed or has holes drilled in it. If it's not removed or drilled out then you are not getting air from outside, just from your home interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.