American havester pellet stove i need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok im going to shut it down and let it cool off and i pull it out and see if it in there
You have a couple of choices. I have mine completely removed, but in the original directions it says to drill some holes in it. I don't have those directions but a few 3/8" holes would be a good start, say like 4-6. If you feel that you put to many in that plug is just a frost plug for motor blocks and can be cheaply found at Auto parts stores if you need to replace it with less holes.

Got it tore down the plug was in it with no holes drilled it in so im going to fire it back up and see how much diffrants i made i drilled 6 holes and put it back on

Got it tore down the plug was in it with no holes drilled it in so im going to fire it back up and see how much diffrants i made i drilled 6 holes and put it back on
Just to be clear, I don't know how much difference it will make in your exhaust temps, but to get the stove running properly first might make a difference. You shouldn't need a blast through the exhaust to get a nice warm house.

Ok it seems to be heating ok the chimney pipe getting so hot kinda scares me if i cant get that down i probley wont run it much above 3 til i can put in a new chimney with like triple wall pipe i think the stuff that came with the stove is double wall

Well its about the same i readjusted back to were i started and im still down at df up 170 and df down 130 but i was able to adjust the hr down to 1.5 and still have the same size fire so at least it took pellet consumption down

Well its about the same i readjusted back to were i started and im still down at df up 170 and df down 130 but i was able to adjust the hr down to 1.5 and still have the same size fire so at least it took pellet consumption down
I'm starting to wonder if you don't have a control board issue. When you are running on HR1 what is the output temp in the room fan hole? Just use one hole to get a reading. Then bump to HR2 and wait 20mins, if you are comfortable doing it bump up to HR3 wait 20mins and then what is the temp?
I'm thinking you might just be stuck on a higher HR than what the board is saying, that would indeed get that exhaust pipe hotter than normal.
If you try this just use one hole for the measurement don't move the thermometer around. It doesn't need to be accurate for this, I mean you don't have to use an expensive calibrated type thermometer, just from the same point on the stove will be good enough.

I was kind of wondering if somthing isnt working right ether cause after the last time i changed the settings 20 min later it was burning at 141 and i left it alone for couple hours and now its at 123 and i havent touch anything in a couple hours but i just turned it to hr1 ill do the test you asked and let you know here in a bit

That and i cant keep the glass from turning black i cleaned it this afternoon when i shut it down to check that plug and its already about 1/3 blacked out with soot

That and i cant keep the glass from turning black i cleaned it this afternoon when i shut it down to check that plug and its already about 1/3 blacked out with soot
Depending on the fuel you are burning, even pellets of different types, these stoves are not known to keep the glass very clean, especially on the lower HR settings. But, that it happens so quick tells me you have either to much air or not enough.
Have you tried unplugging the unit or re-setting the control board to the factory defaults?

No i havent i just bought it used last week and guy said it had ben unpluged for a couple weeks so figured when i pluged it in it went back to factory

No i havent i just bought it used last week and guy said it had ben unpluged for a couple weeks so figured when i pluged it in it went back to factory
No unplugging it won't re-set to the factory defaults. To do that you have to push the AUX up and down buttons at the same time and hold them for 3 seconds.
That will change your feed rates back to 2pph HR1 and either 6pph or 6.5pph on HR9. It will also change the DF settings. I'm not sure what the DF will show after it seems every version of software in this board has different settings. If you do this you will have to change those again to suit what you want. It just might help the board to work again if it is not working right right now.

Ok ill try that and the test so far hr1 was 100 degrees hr2 was 100 i just switched to hr3 thats what it was on when i started the test and it was 120 degrees but ill let you know in 20 min if it climbs up or not

Ok ill try that and the test so far hr1 was 100 degrees hr2 was 100 i just switched to hr3 thats what it was on when i started the test and it was 120 degrees but ill let you know in 20 min if it climbs up or not
I have to leave until around 9:30 tonight will check back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.