1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

American Loggers

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by r_d_gard, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r_d_gard

r_d_gard Member

Loc:
    Maryland - USA
    Ok, so I just spent the week with my daughter in hospital and was able to catch up on some TV watching. So I am sure that all you wood heads out there have seen that Discovery Channel show American Loggers (the firm they are following is in Millinocket, Maine). Those guys are pulling out, every week, 5000+ cords of wood. I'm sure that would set me up for a lifetime or two of burning wood 24/7/365. All I'd have to do is spend another 4 life times splitting it. All I can say is that if I can't get a weeks worth of wood how do I get my hands on one of those truck loads.

All I can do is dream

Ray

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jcjohnston

jcjohnston Member

Loc:
    Livonia MI
    love that show and the others as well
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Yeah . . . but it's mostly softwood . . . and we know what burning pine will do. ;) :)
  4. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    75k cord cut and trucked to the mill in 13 weeks!
    I liked how they reserved 6k cord of hardwood behind the shop to cut down and sell the perfect sections for more money.
  5. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    That show is decent, but those mainiacs are a bit out there. (no offense to any fellow maine member)

Swamp loggers is my favorite logging show followed by ax men
  6. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    After working on piece-work projects with finite timelines where men with no education can make vast sums of money, I look to my wife and say: "You see! You thought I was lying when I said it was like that!"
    '
  7. hokiefan

hokiefan New Member

Loc:
    southeastern va
    + 1 for swamp loggers. It's even better to see in real life, lots of swamps here where I live and it's neat to see them log them.
  8. peterc38

peterc38 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    So you think us Maineiacs are a little out there, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyZXnpO8Jew
  9. kartracer

kartracer Member

Loc:
    Vale NC
    We used to hunt a few miles from where swamp loggers is filmed.Tv doesn't do it justice.The snakes,mosquitoes,etc are a bit..If you've never been around beavers,the wood chewing kind,you wouldn't believe the damage they can do.
  10. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Amazing. Love the masshole and tourist part
  11. Jeb1heat

Jeb1heat Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    +2 swamploggers...
  12. StackedLumber

StackedLumber New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    The private land swamp I hunt up here was logged two winters ago-took 460+ cord of cedar and 160+ cord of poplar out of it. It's amazing how it all went down. They worked strictly in the winter when everything was frozen. Dramatically changed the hunting for sure.
  13. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    imo the swamp loggers have way cooler equipment!!
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I've just started watching American Loggers. To me, it's OK . . . but so far the shows seem to be the same thing over and over . . . and way too many flashbacks and re-enactments. Honestly, Ax Men is more interesting to me since I've seen the equipment in use here in Maine and the high line logging and swamp logging is something new and different. All of these shows of course suffer from the forced drama since I am sure the mundane day-to-day operations would be boring TV . . . just like a camera crew shooting the day-to-day operations of a typical firehouse would be bored to tears by the house cleaning, daily training and bazillion I've-stubbed-my-toe-and-need-to-go-to-the-hospital ambulance calls . . . punctuated with a few chimney fires, bad car accidents or occasional structure fire.

Me . . . I'm going to shoot my own Reality TV Show . . . American Backyard Logger . . . featuring me dropping trees in the wrong direction, getting my chainsaw pinched over and over, having a momentary relapse and pouring bar oil into the gasoline tank of the saw, hanging up one tree and cutting another only to have that hang in the first tree, etc. ;) :)
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Never saw the show. We rarely, very rarely even turn our tv on.
  16. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    Last night on a show called tougher in Alaska they did a whole drama free hour on some hardcore logging.
  17. jcjohnston

jcjohnston Member

Loc:
    Livonia MI
    they say "THINGS REALLY ARE TOUGHER IN ALASKA"
  18. firecaptain

firecaptain Member

Loc:
    western pa
    firefighter jake, love your comments.
    as a fellow FF i can relate. hours of mundane mindnumbing boredom.... followed by 1 hour of insanity. lol.
    the backyard logger would be a good reality show. something evryone on here could probably relate to.
    im a fan of axmen myself, would love to see on of the skylines in action. her ein PA. its modtly skidding logs in select cutting areas, which makes for ample firewood after the crews leave. ;).
  19. sublime68charger

sublime68charger Member

Loc:
    South West WI
    you could add some spice to this by follwoing your postings on hearth.com.

this site is pretty mild no real flame war's and name calling and stuff.
    you might have to go over to firehouse.com and get in on some flame wars there.
    or ford vs chevy match as well

just trying to get your show some ratings

I like all them logging show's but then I look at what they leave behind and think geeze if I had my ATV and trailer there I could have some fun. Load up the trailer and weave wonder my way back out to the road.
    sublime out.
  20. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    new episode coming on n a few mins!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.