American Loggers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
Ok, so I just spent the week with my daughter in hospital and was able to catch up on some TV watching. So I am sure that all you wood heads out there have seen that Discovery Channel show American Loggers (the firm they are following is in Millinocket, Maine). Those guys are pulling out, every week, 5000+ cords of wood. I'm sure that would set me up for a lifetime or two of burning wood 24/7/365. All I'd have to do is spend another 4 life times splitting it. All I can say is that if I can't get a weeks worth of wood how do I get my hands on one of those truck loads.

All I can do is dream

Ray

love that show and the others as well

rayza said:
Ok, so I just spent the week with my daughter in hospital and was able to catch up on some TV watching. So I am sure that all you wood heads out there have seen that Discovery Channel show American Loggers (the firm they are following is in Millinocket, Maine). Those guys are pulling out, every week, 5000+ cords of wood. I'm sure that would set me up for a lifetime or two of burning wood 24/7/365. All I'd have to do is spend another 4 life times splitting it. All I can say is that if I can't get a weeks worth of wood how do I get my hands on one of those truck loads.

All I can do is dream

Ray

Yeah . . . but it's mostly softwood . . . and we know what burning pine will do. ;) :)

75k cord cut and trucked to the mill in 13 weeks!
I liked how they reserved 6k cord of hardwood behind the shop to cut down and sell the perfect sections for more money.

That show is decent, but those mainiacs are a bit out there. (no offense to any fellow maine member)

Swamp loggers is my favorite logging show followed by ax men

After working on piece-work projects with finite timelines where men with no education can make vast sums of money, I look to my wife and say: "You see! You thought I was lying when I said it was like that!"
'

+ 1 for swamp loggers. It's even better to see in real life, lots of swamps here where I live and it's neat to see them log them.

We used to hunt a few miles from where swamp loggers is filmed.Tv doesn't do it justice.The snakes,mosquitoes,etc are a bit..If you've never been around beavers,the wood chewing kind,you wouldn't believe the damage they can do.

The private land swamp I hunt up here was logged two winters ago-took 460+ cord of cedar and 160+ cord of poplar out of it. It's amazing how it all went down. They worked strictly in the winter when everything was frozen. Dramatically changed the hunting for sure.

imo the swamp loggers have way cooler equipment!!

I've just started watching American Loggers. To me, it's OK . . . but so far the shows seem to be the same thing over and over . . . and way too many flashbacks and re-enactments. Honestly, Ax Men is more interesting to me since I've seen the equipment in use here in Maine and the high line logging and swamp logging is something new and different. All of these shows of course suffer from the forced drama since I am sure the mundane day-to-day operations would be boring TV . . . just like a camera crew shooting the day-to-day operations of a typical firehouse would be bored to tears by the house cleaning, daily training and bazillion I've-stubbed-my-toe-and-need-to-go-to-the-hospital ambulance calls . . . punctuated with a few chimney fires, bad car accidents or occasional structure fire.

Me . . . I'm going to shoot my own Reality TV Show . . . American Backyard Logger . . . featuring me dropping trees in the wrong direction, getting my chainsaw pinched over and over, having a momentary relapse and pouring bar oil into the gasoline tank of the saw, hanging up one tree and cutting another only to have that hang in the first tree, etc. ;) :)

Never saw the show. We rarely, very rarely even turn our tv on.

Last night on a show called tougher in Alaska they did a whole drama free hour on some hardcore logging.

they say "THINGS REALLY ARE TOUGHER IN ALASKA"

firefighter jake, love your comments.
as a fellow FF i can relate. hours of mundane mindnumbing boredom.... followed by 1 hour of insanity. lol.
the backyard logger would be a good reality show. something evryone on here could probably relate to.
im a fan of axmen myself, would love to see on of the skylines in action. her ein PA. its modtly skidding logs in select cutting areas, which makes for ample firewood after the crews leave. ;).

firefighterjake said:
I've just started watching American Loggers. To me, it's OK . . . but so far the shows seem to be the same thing over and over . . . and way too many flashbacks and re-enactments. Honestly, Ax Men is more interesting to me since I've seen the equipment in use here in Maine and the high line logging and swamp logging is something new and different. All of these shows of course suffer from the forced drama since I am sure the mundane day-to-day operations would be boring TV . . . just like a camera crew shooting the day-to-day operations of a typical firehouse would be bored to tears by the house cleaning, daily training and bazillion I've-stubbed-my-toe-and-need-to-go-to-the-hospital ambulance calls . . . punctuated with a few chimney fires, bad car accidents or occasional structure fire.

Me . . . I'm going to shoot my own Reality TV Show . . . American Backyard Logger . . . featuring me dropping trees in the wrong direction, getting my chainsaw pinched over and over, having a momentary relapse and pouring bar oil into the gasoline tank of the saw, hanging up one tree and cutting another only to have that hang in the first tree, etc. ;) :)

you could add some spice to this by follwoing your postings on hearth.com.

this site is pretty mild no real flame war's and name calling and stuff.
you might have to go over to firehouse.com and get in on some flame wars there.
or ford vs chevy match as well

just trying to get your show some ratings

I like all them logging show's but then I look at what they leave behind and think geeze if I had my ATV and trailer there I could have some fun. Load up the trailer and weave wonder my way back out to the road.
sublime out.

new episode coming on n a few mins!

Status
Not open for further replies.