American splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2006
North of Boston
My new splitter showed up last week, and I've had time to put about a cord through it.

Can't get the grin off my face, so I thought I'd share some pics and impressions.

I've got a bad back, but I love to burn wood, and I know I'm saving a ton of money on natural gas, so it wasn't too hard to justify buying a good splitter. I expect this one will outlast me.

It's a 25HH model by American CLS. 8hp, 16gpm horizontal. I upgraded to the honda engine, and also went with the split pans, 4 way wedge and the log lift.

After using it, I'm even more impressed than I thought it'd be. the ergonomics are just outstanding. because of the bigger tires on the HH model, the beam is at perfect working height - no bending to run the splitter or handle the splits. The split pans are big enough to catch big chunks or even halves coming off of 20"+ rounds, and they're just low enough so that splits fall away from the beam so you can split a few pieces before clearing the pans.

The log lift effortly positions the next round into place, and is a fantastic worktable for the pieces you need to re-split. With big enough rounds, even a 4-way wedge leaves pieces that need to be re-split. But with the lift, you just toss those onto the table, and pull the lever to bring them back to you when you're ready for them.

With my back, I couldn't run a vertical splitter for more than a few minutes at a time, so the lift was a must-have for me. After using it, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

enough of the sales pitch.. time for pics
Splitter and two wood carts, one for kindling, one for splits
IMG_4499.jpg

Rounds lined up and ready to go
IMG_4502.jpg

Lifting the next round into place. WD40 can just for scale ;)
IMG_4503.jpg

Now THAT is a cool splitter!!. I've also got a bum back (bottom two disks are squished). Oddly enough heavy lifting seems to help my back woes...but if it were an option to have that lift on mine i'd have gotten it.

Good purchase.

I like those wheels!

:) Nice splitter. Before purchasing one from Lowe's I checked online and a company had some like the one you bought. I would have had to drive quite a ways to see one and didn't feel the difference would be worthwell. Also more money........but in your case it was well worth it. The lift really looks nice especially with larger rounds. Thanks for sharing your purchase.

Nice splitter! How much did you pay for that baby, if you don't mind us asking? I'm guessing about $2500? More? The Honda was a good choice IMHO. Their engines are hard to beat.

Chris

That's a really nice log splitter!! Great pics too.. Do your neighbors complain about the noise or are they cool about it..?

Ray

Hurts to say it yeah, more than $2500, closer to $3500. But in until you asked, I had nearly managed to forget it. ;) The lift doesn't go cheap, nor does delivery with the cost of diesel fuel these days. Some needs to build a wood fired tractor trailer!

My nieghbors are pretty cool, and I try to be considerate about when I make noise. The parents with small kids will bring them by so they can watch (from a safe distance). The parents with older kids let them play god-awful rap music outside, so if they want to complain about the sweet sound of a chainsaw...

-Dan

nice machine!

i bought the 24hh with the 5.5 honda and 4 way.i love it but the 4 way seems more aggrivation than it's worth.i rarely use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.