American Wood Fibers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar34

Jan 29, 2015
MD
I have been burning American Wood Fibers premium hardwood pellets and have been very happy with them. I'm down to 3/4 of a ton of pellets and searching for more. I happened to stumble across 20 bags of American Wood Fibers Premium white pine pellets. Price was $6.75 a bag so a picked up three bags just to try them. I noticed BTU output was listed as greater than 8600 with an ash content of .25%. The hardwood American Wood Fiber Premium is listed as greater than 8000 BTU with an ash content of .5%. I was under the impression hardwood pellets were more desirable given the less creosote produced. What do the experts say here? I have never burned softwood pellets so I'm eager learn from others experience. Price prohibitive to piece out though.

Wood stove rule of softwood = creosote does not apply.

The pellets contain no bark or sap. It's just sawdust that has been dried then compressed. Softwoods a preferable to most pellet stove owners as there is a slightly higher BTU value and lower ash.

I'm currently running 100% pine pellets right now.

Wood stove rule of softwood = creosote does not apply.

The pellets contain no bark or sap. It's just sawdust that has been dried then compressed. Softwoods a preferable to most pellet stove owners as there is a slightly higher BTU value and lower ash.

I'm currently running 100% pine pellets right now.
OK. Should I expect to pay a premium for softwood pellets?

Typically yes you should. I cheat and use 100% pine pellets that are designated as Equine Bedding Pellets. I have had zero issues as they are the same stuff just sold for a different purpose. My stove will burn any damn thing you put in it and YMMV. 100% softwoods that are of Super Premium rating will fetch a premium. There are regular premium softwood pellets too that are about the same price per bag as hardwoods. These typically burn well with low ash in my stove.

I see you have a Harman P68 there. What a BTU monster. Also known for burning just about any damned thing. Try some different kinds out before you do a bulk purchase and see how your beast burns them. Then go for the tons.

Interested in the Equine Bedding Pellets. Are they competitively priced? They may be able to be sourced here locally.

I get mine from Tractor Supply Company for $5 per bag since they are on sale right now. They typically cost the same or a bit more than fuel pellets and are subject to tax. Fuel tax depends on state (and county here in NY) so pricing may be different for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.