Amount of Pellets Burned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schenkp

Jul 22, 2008
NorthEast
So I have been burning my Quadrafire Mt Vernon for about a month now on and off, on some of the colder nights and days its seems that i might be burning about 1 1/2 bags a day. This is on automatic and I noticed that it burn on Medium Low.

Is there any adjustments I can make that will make the stove burn slower and hotter and use less pellets?

experiment with the manual settings, like medium or mh.

not that much, but it's hard to say what my consumption will be when the cold weather comes. When running on auto it seems to cycle down to low and run on low for an awful long time. On the manual settings it satisfies the thermostat quicker. My 2 cents. YMMV

1.5 bags a day doesn't sound excessive at all to me, but I don't know how big the area is or what the temp is set at. Yes you can burn less than 1.5 bags a day burning in manual mode at a lower setting, but you're also going to have less heat output. You call, more heat = more pellets being burnt.

schnkp said:
What temp are you keeping your home at and what is the sqf you are keeping warm?
what temp are you at and square footage?
if your burning 1.5 bags a day now what do you expect in the middle of winter?

kimeric said:
schnkp said:
What temp are you keeping your home at and what is the sqf you are keeping warm?
what temp are you at and square footage?
if your burning 1.5 bags a day now what do you expect in the middle of winter?

IM keeping it at about 71' and im heating 3300 sf. The stove is set for auto and does run all night on low and most of the day.

Anything to keep the oil man away is fine with me.

kimeric said:
75deg-2000sq ft 2-story
Like seeing that a pellet stove is keeping a two story 2000 sq ft home warm. I have the same sqare feet and if I can get that kind of warmth with the Harman P68 I'll be awfully happy.

schnkp said:
So I have been burning my Quadrafire Mt Vernon for about a month now on and off, on some of the colder nights and days its seems that i might be burning about 1 1/2 bags a day. This is on automatic and I noticed that it burn on Medium Low.

Is there any adjustments I can make that will make the stove burn slower and hotter and use less pellets?

Nothing short of a miracle will work. Heating 3300 sq ft is going to require a lot more than 1.5 bags a day when it gets colder.

Gio said:
schnkp said:

Nothing short of a miracle will work. Heating 3300 sq ft is going to require a lot more than 1.5 bags a day when it gets colder.

Thats why i bought a QuadraFire :)

The last few nights have been really cold and the stove has kept up no issues.

I have the Quad Mt. Vernon AE Insert and am heating over 3,600 sq/ft. When it gets cold I can burn close to 3 bags a day. Still cheaper than the alternative of propain!

Gio said:
schnkp said:

You got that right! Keeping a 3300 sq ft home at 75*F during the winter will take a LOT of pellets, but it still might be better than having the oil man visiting on a regular basis... Well, depending on oil and pellet prices anyway.

I can tell you you'll only be using the pellet stove as supplemental heat anyway since there's no way you're going to be able to evenly distribute that much heat over that large of an area when heating with a space heater... but it will certainly take a bite out of the oil bill.

The Mt. Vernon really does burn through lots and lots of pellets! We have a Harmon P68 in the basement of our home and it consumes much fewer pellets and burns much hotter. The sides and front get very hot and seems to throw off lots more heat that our Mt. Vernon that's on the main floor of the house. My Harmon burns nearly all the time and the Mt. Vernon only a fraction of the time--yet it burns lots more pellets. We're not sure why we're not getting the heat output that it should and we're still playing with the settings. Perhaps, we have a venting problem. Any suggestions would help greatly!

I'm heating an 1800 sq/ft house and a full basement with infloor heat plus DHW and am burning 1 bag a day right now with a tarm multi-heat boiler. Thought I'd post in case someone is trying to decide between space heat and central heat with pellets.

whippingwater said:
I'm heating an 1800 sq/ft house and a full basement with infloor heat plus DHW and am burning 1 bag a day right now with a tarm multi-heat boiler. Thought I'd post in case someone is trying to decide between space heat and central heat with pellets.

Where are you in Florida?

Gio said:
whippingwater said:

Where are you in Florida?

I'm in Michigan's upper peninsula. Right NOW I'm burning a bag a day but we'll see what happens when winter gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.