Amtrol Air Purger and Taco Hy Vent & Expansion Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
That is the combo I have on my oil boiler. I've been running the boiler more than I ever have so that I can empty the oil tank to move it, plus it's good to get my head into the whole hydronic thing if it's going to be used by the wood boiler. So I just kind of noticed the noise in my first floor piping. I just replaced the Taco Hy Vent with another one. The design is a little different-you can't take it apart. Before I took apart the old one after I got the new one installed. I didn't see anything bad except a lot of black goo over everything.

How long should it take before the purger purges? Is the Amtrol a good unit? I read good things about the Spirovent on here. Is it that much better that I should replace it when I do the wood boiler (I assume there'll be at least one or maybe two additional purgers-one for wood boiler and one for storage, or maybe at least a vent at storage and purger/vent combo at boiler)?

This noise is most pronounced in the first baseboard downstream from boiler. Circs are pumping to return. Purger/Vent/Tank are on the supply header before the zone piping, near the boiler.

I also noticed that the expansion tank charge was down to two pounds after I isolated it. Pumped that to 12 psi. Never had the relief valve blow. Is the diapraghm on the way out? It's about 10 years olf.

On another related development, the stupid boiler temperature/pressure gauge appears to be fubared. The pressure needle didn't even move! I think that checking the Schraeder valve on the expansion tank with a tire pressure gauge is what I'll do until I replace that gauge. The thermometer still seems to work.

That is the combo I have on my oil boiler. I've been running the boiler more than I ever have so that I can empty the oil tank to move it, plus it's good to get my head into the whole hydronic thing if it's going to be used by the wood boiler. So I just kind of noticed the noise in my first floor piping. I just replaced the Taco Hy Vent with another one. The design is a little different-you can't take it apart. Before I took apart the old one after I got the new one installed. I didn't see anything bad except a lot of black goo over everything.

How long should it take before the purger purges? Is the Amtrol a good unit? I read good things about the Spirovent on here. Is it that much better that I should replace it when I do the wood boiler (I assume there'll be at least one or maybe two additional purgers-one for wood boiler and one for storage, or maybe at least a vent at storage and purger/vent combo at boiler)?

This noise is most pronounced in the first baseboard downstream from boiler. Circs are pumping to return. Purger/Vent/Tank are on the supply header before the zone piping, near the boiler.

I also noticed that the expansion tank charge was down to two pounds after I isolated it. Pumped that to 12 psi. Never had the relief valve blow. Is the diapraghm on the way out? It's about 10 years olf.

On another related development, the stupid boiler temperature/pressure gauge appears to be fubared. The pressure needle didn't even move! I think that checking the Schraeder valve on the expansion tank with a tire pressure gauge is what I'll do until I replace that gauge. The thermometer still seems to work.

Sounds like you have a scoop type air purger? They need to be installed with at least 18" of straight pipe upstream to work well. Also the flow velocity is critical. if you flow much over 4 feet per second, they are really useless. Consider upgrading to a micro-bubble type Spiro, Calefi, B&G are a few good brands. Some brands disassemble to clean easily.

If you are going to upgrade the air purger get a dual function dirt and air device. Better yet add the magnetic band.

Take a magnet to the black goo. If it sticks, it is iron ferrite, caused by excessive O2 in the system. Non -barrier pex can lead to that condition. A dirt separator with a magnetic band will handle that, but find the cause.

For best air removal the pump should always pump away from the expansion tank. Sure the pump could be on the return,but the expansion tank should be connected at the pump inlet.

The reason is you want that extra pressure the pump adds (delta P) to help rid the air.

Air purger always at the hottest point in the system, typically right after the boiler. Air removes best from hot fluid.

Got pics or a drawing?

If the air charge disappears the bladder is probably shot. Push in the schrader valve stem air or water? if it's water the tank bladder is shot and it is waterlogged.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Thanks. That's a lot of stuff to think about.
I attached a picture. IMGP3424.JPG
Alas, all the goo is cleaned up. The pipe is copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.