An addict exhibits self control today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
When I came home at lunchtime today there was a tree company working on the neighbors trees. They had a boom truck that was about 1/4 full of white oak logs. It took so much self control to leave it alone, I was so close to asking for it.

The summer heat and the full load that I did this spring were the angel on my one shoulder. Seeing a short load of white oak right there was the devil on the other. It was a hard decision but knowing how pissed my wife would have been was the deciding factor. She wouldn't have been too happy with another pile of logs when I just processed that full load this spring.

I have trying to come to grips with my decision, there's plenty more wood available and if I wait till the winter I can process it in comfort and not destroy the yard in the process. And I'll actually have some space to stack it. At least that is what I must tell myself, there will be more, it's only a phone call away, Sean is always good for a log load when I ask, it's too hot now, there will be more, I have 7 or 8 cords stacked up as it is...

But it was white oak logs that I let get away.......I am doomed.....

Wow! You have more control than I. It would be difficult to turn that one down. Even though we have our own woodlot, if I saw that here, I'd direct the fellow to the place that was easy to unload.

Dammit Paul....I'm going to have to call an emergency meeting over at The Firewood Hoarder's Club to determine your punishment......what will it be? The "rack"? Or maybe a little "waterboarding"?:eek:!!!

Just kiddin, brother....;)
Hey, if "mum" ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy.....and if she would've been pizzed about that wood in the yard, then you probably made the right decision. BUT.......

you're a better man than I am....I could have NEVER let that wood go, at least with not asking!!::-)

WOW !! I would not be able to control myself in your case

it was white oak logs that I let get away
Other woods, yes, but I would have a really hard time passing on Great White. In your shoes, I can see why you did it. And there will always be more White when the time is right. ==c
The "rack"? Or maybe a little "waterboarding"?
I don't think it's a egregious offense, so I hope you don't make him "walk the plank." ==c

50 lashes with a wet noodle will teach em.
You have to keep the wife happy. Maybe she could've help you!!!

Reactions: HDRock
When I came home at lunchtime today there was a tree company working on the neighbors trees. They had a boom truck that was about 1/4 full of white oak logs. It took so much self control to leave it alone, I was so close to asking for it.

The summer heat and the full load that I did this spring were the angel on my one shoulder. Seeing a short load of white oak right there was the devil on the other. It was a hard decision but knowing how pissed my wife would have been was the deciding factor. She wouldn't have been too happy with another pile of logs when I just processed that full load this spring.

I have trying to come to grips with my decision, there's plenty more wood available and if I wait till the winter I can process it in comfort and not destroy the yard in the process. And I'll actually have some space to stack it. At least that is what I must tell myself, there will be more, it's only a phone call away, Sean is always good for a log load when I ask, it's too hot now, there will be more, I have 7 or 8 cords stacked up as it is...

But it was white oak logs that I let get away.......I am doomed.....

you know you made the wrong decision...haha....;)

Time for an intervention....;hm

What! Really? You should sit that little lady down and explain the virtues of wood scrougery. This was not poplar or pine!
It was across the road and white Oak...what more can a wood aficionado want!...;)

Right then...you need to burn wet wood and cannot use a supercedar for this next season...:)

Ok...sometimes you just have to say no...but that doesn't make it any easier...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Its hard to pass up more wood so I feel for you!. I just finished bucking up half a cord in the woods and then brought it home and split it and stacked it. Ive run out of room on my small lot to store any more wood (5-6 cords). 3 truck loads ago in May I told the family that I was done until next spring but for some reason they didn't believe me. I see wood everywhere, just waiting for someone to take it home. You did make a good choice though,,, you have to keep the lady of the house happy otherwise you will be in trouble!! She will think its great this winter though

At $200 dollars a cord, I'm trying to explain to my wife that my 12 free cords means $2400 in savings.

I don't think I will ever be able to pass up free wood.

But here in the suburbs, certain compromises must be made to keep up appearances.

The neighbors haven't warmed yet to my suburban homesteading.

Wait till the chickens get here!

Its too friggin hot to work on wood.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The neighbors haven't warmed yet to my suburban homesteading. Wait till the chickens get here!

My little, densely populated and well-manicured borough legalized chickens and beekeeping in June, after months of debate. It's still going to be regulated (annual licenses, potential inspections, no roosters, dept. of ag. certification for bees). There was a very vocal, mostly older minority that REALLY didn't want this to happen, but they were swamped in the wake of others who were enthusiastic about it. I'm already getting free eggs from a neighbor across the street. Whodathunkit?

!!! .......I can't stand it.....and Paul, your in NJ, you know how hard it can be to get wood, I think your very last sentence say's it all.......:(

Before you go an punish him Scott, wait until today is over. We might read that he went home for lunch again today and the tree company was still working at the neighbors and he broke down and had them drop a load in the driveway.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
You did the right thing, Mr. Bunyan - though we feel your pain and loss. I suggest you write this down on the calendar for future reference and use as leverage for points toward negotiation (or to offset goof-ups) to get things you want. Just like a pile of white oak is money in the bank, so is your decision to please Mrs. Bunyan .. be sure to use the " spare change" you earned with the wife - this will lessen the loss... heheh.

Sometimes a man has to take a little abuse? I would have the wood in the driveway and the wife being angry would force me to process it in a timely matter. Once the job was done she will be happy and I have the oak!

Reactions: Thistle
Status
Not open for further replies.