An addict exhibits self control today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for an attitude adjustment. :)

If she can't see the value in a big pile of wood, tell her that you'll sell some of it & buy her something nice with the proceeds. Passing on that is just wrong. ;)

Actually, now that I think about it, the free wood is double the savings. The cost of the cord saved, plus the cost of the oil I'm not burning.

This is an argument I think the wives may support.

Reactions: ScotO and WeldrDave
You need to join woodaholics anonymous. There is a meeting near you. You need to let your wood dry out before you get back on the wagon. :cool:

Just tell yourself that IF you had asked the tree company "can I have this wood" they would've said "no, sorry, it's already spoken for".

There, does that help at all? ;lol

You were in a tough spot and called the play that you thought would be the right one. The game is still on so you have time to win the game lol! :)

There is no way I would have not asked about the wood. Half the processing work is done already (maybe more if it was bucked to length). White oak too. No way that would have escaped my hoarding. I do agree its too hot to process now so I would have gotten it to my processing area (Woodland) and let it sit until the weather cools and the bugs are gone. Then again I'm a PHYCHO

Just tell yourself that IF you had asked the tree company "can I have this wood" they would've said "no, sorry, it's already spoken for".

There, does that help at all? ;lol

You were in a tough spot and called the play that you thought would be the right one. The game is still on so you have time to win the game lol! :)

I have more than one tree company that I do call and get wood from as it is. One by the log load, one by pickup loads. So I'm good on sourcing wood. Just need to wait till fall/winter when it is much more pleasant to be processing firewood. Then I'll call up and get another 'fix'.

I have more than one tree company that I do call and get wood from as it is. One by the log load, one by pickup loads. So I'm good on sourcing wood. Just need to wait till fall/winter when it is much more pleasant to be processing firewood. Then I'll call up and get another 'fix'.
Scotty, will you just add another section in the Wood Hoarders Club and call it " Dabling " :p:p

I don't think i could have passed even though i still have a lot of maple to process. I have been able to get the wife to help stack but she heads back to school soon so i will lose my help.

Scott, you have not experienced the great feel yet of doing that then skinny dipping in one of the Great Lakes! You really feel super great after that.

So as fate would have it I did get some wood delivered last night, by gravity. A Red Oak dropped a 25' long piece out of its crown. About 6" in diameter at the butt end. It scored a direct hit on my woodpiles, taking out part of a row. There was no decay or sign of weakness in it at all. Maybe a days worth of heat, not a month. It is going to go back onto the wood pile that it fell on.

So as fate would have it I did get some wood delivered last night, by gravity. A Red Oak dropped a 25' long piece out of its crown. About 6" in diameter at the butt end. It scored a direct hit on my woodpiles, taking out part of a row. There was no decay or sign of weakness in it at all. Maybe a days worth of heat, not a month. It is going to go back onto the wood pile that it fell on.

;lol Wood falling out of the sky, but then again !!! good thing no one got hit

I couldn't help from laughing at the thread title. That is awesome.

You did WHAT ! ?
Passed up "WHITE OAK"

White Oak is one of the "top of the food chain" wood types.

;sick

naw.....I spent two hours both last evening and on Sunday evening cutting, splitting and stacking.........in near 90° heat......
Makes that dip in the swimming pool feel that much more refreshing!!
I guess the pool could make it barable. Still, spring, fall and winter are wood times, not the summer.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Dammit Paul....I'm going to have to call an emergency meeting over at The Firewood Hoarder's Club to determine your punishment......what will it be? The "rack"? Or maybe a little "waterboarding"?
I don't think it's a egregious offense, so I hope you don't make him "walk the plank." ==c
Nah... Scotty burned the plank last winter!

When I came home at lunchtime today there was a tree company working on the neighbors trees. They had a boom truck that was about 1/4 full of white oak logs. It took so much self control to leave it alone, I was so close to asking for it.

The summer heat and the full load that I did this spring were the angel on my one shoulder. Seeing a short load of white oak right there was the devil on the other. It was a hard decision but knowing how pissed my wife would have been was the deciding factor. She wouldn't have been too happy with another pile of logs when I just processed that full load this spring.

I have trying to come to grips with my decision, there's plenty more wood available and if I wait till the winter I can process it in comfort and not destroy the yard in the process. And I'll actually have some space to stack it. At least that is what I must tell myself, there will be more, it's only a phone call away, Sean is always good for a log load when I ask, it's too hot now, there will be more, I have 7 or 8 cords stacked up as it is...

But it was white oak logs that I let get away.......I am doomed.....
I feel your pain.....I've driven past a few opportunity's myself just to keep the peace....the Wife would have my head.....the yard is just startin' to get somewhat cleared

I'm collecting faster than I can process.

I know the feeling, during spring clean up season I scrounged up a nice collection of trimming that I finally finished processing on Wednesday (for some reason my back went out of whack in the late spring). Anyway, all split and stacked it came out to 3.6 cord. I celebrated Thursday by scrounging another truckload.

Reactions: Thistle
After spending two days off work last week splitting, I'm finally down to about 8 cords of un-split rounds. :rolleyes: Yes, I have a problem. There are worse problems to have, though!

After spending two days off work last week splitting, I'm finally down to about 8 cords of un-split rounds. :rolleyes: Yes, I have a problem. There are worse problems to have, though!

Sounds like a good one to have. I need to get my current load processed tonight and tomorrow because I am going back for more Wed after work.

Coming home from the lake this evening, I spotted a fresh cut tree next to the highway. Made an immediate u-turn, with Heidi going WTF? Stopped to find a freshly downed, dead and dry doug fir left by the power line tree service. When I got home, I called a friend who had been whining about wanting more doug fir. He said "call Randall and get his truck, I'll be booted up and ready when you get here." Went to Randall's, he said "have some tri-tip and a glass of wine." Just got home, hope the fir is there when we get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.