an afternoon in the forest...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpikaart

Oct 30, 2009
NorthWest NM
Thought I'd post a few photos of today's trip to the Cibola National forest. This a huge hunk of land about 15 miles southeast of Gallup, NM. Firewood permit season started this weekend. A family can cut 10 cords on 2 permits each of which last for 2 months. In the past I've done all my year's cutting in the fall, but decided to get a jump on things this spring--and it seemed like a nice weekend to out in the woods! Our situation is a bit unique (well at least compared to many of you in the east) in that there are very few trees where I live (except the planted types--siberian elm, russian olive, etc.) but huge forests that are close by, but have the necessary altitude (about 7,000+) to grow lots of big trees. Ponderosa is predominant (and it's horrid for firewood) but the lower slopes contain lots of pinyon and juniper (much better, longer burning wood!) It's a great deal and lots of fun. What bugs me lately is seeing all the green trees that are cut--hope those who poached them get caught and don't ruin things for the rest of us...

So, here are some pics of the trip in, a nice standing dead pinyon to cut, the trip back, and re-filling the shed (or manger as my daughter calls it!)

Attachments

• CIMG0550.jpg
    CIMG0550.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 451
  • CIMG0552.jpg
    CIMG0552.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 426
  • CIMG0553.jpg
    CIMG0553.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 457
  • CIMG0555.jpg
    CIMG0555.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 462
  • CIMG0556.jpg
    CIMG0556.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 423
  • CIMG0557.jpg
    CIMG0557.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 450
NMman nice pictures, looks like it was a nice trip. How many cord do you burn in one year?

zap

"How many cord do you burn in one year?"
I don't keep track very well, but...probably 5 or so. This winter was cold and long so we used more than last year. We've still got freezing temps at night and we were still burning at night last week, but I think it's time to quit.

Very nice, NMman. I was out in the Santa Fe Nat'l Forest doing the same thing yesterday. Gorgeous day.

One thing that bothered me a bit is, I'm seeing plenty of large standing dead pinon (many rotted beyond use) but not many smaller, younger ones. Made me wonder if this species is in the midst of a huge contraction, and if it will ever come back.

Wow! 5 cord? We only burn 3 here but perhaps you are talking about face cords rather than a full cord?

Good pictures. We've been in that area and it is nice.

Most folks don't see the big temp swings day to night as we do. Yesterday's high here was 74, last night's low was 37...

Status
Not open for further replies.