An ash drying experiment...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I split some dead ash yesterday. This was EAB dead that a local tree service had in their "landfill" pile. Great stuff- straight and about 32-36" long. I cut it all to 16-18" logs and split it. Really easy to split.

The wood was very dry for freshly Split wood. I checked moisture content on some fresh splits and found about 23% MC. I am going to take 1 row of my next year's shed-full and replace it with this wood. It will sit all summer, covered and exposed to south sun and wind. It will be the last wood I burn next heating season. Based on past experience with ash and what I have heard folks here say, I'm guessing this will be be dry by April/may of 2014. Any input?

Reactions: ScotO
If you don't split it real big and get it stacked now, I bet it will be ready by fall....down around 18%.

Good plan
Might even be good to burn before Spring of 2014.

Yep. You'll find that the dead ash dries pretty quick. You'll probably be fine burning it in October. I do it all the time, except when I make some 12" monster splits. I give those another year.

Like woody said, that stuff has a chance at being ready by fall, if you make the splits small to medium (4x4"-5x5"). So, get crackin'! (the wood, that is);)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I don't even think you'd have to split it small. That dry, it will easily be ready to burn if you need it next fall.

For sure that ash will be one of the easiest to split which also makes it favorable for those splitting by hand. With the hydraulics, many times just a touch with the wedge and the log splits. Sometimes you may have to go a few inches into the log if it has a knot but still splits very easy so it is really fast work with hydraulics.

Reactions: Nixon
That dry, it will easily be ready to burn if you need it next fall.
+1 once split the ash will dry down pretty quick, at 23% now ,probably be 12-15% by fall

yep, nice quick drying beautiful burning wood.
get it c/s/s right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.