An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
croghanite said:
anyone know where to get one of these??? The grinder/ sharpener thats in the picture.....
http://blog.theconspirator.org/?p=94

I see them frequently at yard sales and junk/antique shops. A belt sander and diamond hone are alot faster.

My Granddad had one but it had a water tub on the bottom where the stone passed thru the water.
WV area antique shops?

Nice link. Found this gem in it:

Give the ax handle a slight twist just as the bit hits the block (Figure 94). This throws the block of wood apart and prevents the ax from sticking. The real secret of splitting wood with an ax is in this little twist right at the end of the stroke

My grandfather had one in his basement.
He owned a commercial fishing boat so sharpened lots of knives.
His had a little funnel shaped drip cup on top.

I found one for sale once, googling. I think I used 'pedal powered whetstone' for a keyword.

Status
Not open for further replies.