An FYI on wood drying...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all, I will be sending you 2 pictures, one that was split and stacked in April, that was called purdy wood, and one that was taken today on July 18 that measured at 17% MC as per my general meter, I had a friend tell me 3-4 weeks ago that this was ready to burn. I'm not sure of his knowledge on that 100%. BUT my point is that there is a very big difference in just 3 months, this tree was living in march and will be ready to burn in (actually now).
What I am posting is facts, I'm just really trying to learn all I can about the wood burning world, and this is part of it....please post any and all comments to help all learn.... Ty image.jpg image.jpg

Of course.....lol I was born at night, but not last night....

Where did my second picture go?

Reactions: NortheastAl
Trickery Brother Bart...

What type of wood is that? I'd assume some sort of soft wood given the quick drying time.

Looks like White Ash but I don't think it can dry that fast....

Reactions: smokinj
It is maple, possibly Norway from what others have commented

Reactions: smokinj
It is maple, possibly Norway from what others have commented

Yep, the bark pattern def looks like Norway. That's a somewhat hard wood. I've got some sugar I split in April and may that is no where near dry yet. I haven't takin a moisture meter to it but it's still very heavy feeling. I'm really surprised yours seasoned that fast. How big are most of the splits?

Reactions: Woody Stover
I do not have that number, as I have just gotten my MM this week, but the wood was clean and pretty when first stacked, then turned bone white and now charcoal in color. It is a big time difference in looks in just the 3 months and just measured up at 17 % the other day....

Yep, the bark pattern def looks like Norway. That's a somewhat hard wood. I've got some sugar I split in April and may that is no where near dry yet. I haven't takin a moisture meter to it but it's still very heavy feeling. I'm really surprised yours seasoned that fast. How big are most of the splits?
My splits are on the small side, sitting in the sun and wind...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
My splits are on the small side, sitting in the sun and wind...

That can def make a difference. Not saying I doubt you here but I'd be curious to know an average MC of a few more pieces. Maybe one from a bigger piece

I will do that, take more readings, I took about 5, but your right, I will try again...

I will do that, take more readings, I took about 5, but your right, I will try again...

Five is a decent sample already. Maybe just see the difference in a couple bigger splits compared to smaller splits

Will do, tans for the interest...I love your wood piles by the way

Reactions: Trilifter7
Reactions: Paulywalnut
I have some Norway that was cut in March and stacked by May. It is amazing how much lighter it already is. The Ash and Cherry that I stacked with it are keeping pace. It isn't the wood that I have on on deck for this coming winter but it feels like it could. The Oak from the same load on the other hand is still wet and heavy as would be expected.

Keep the rain off that stack and you'll be burning it in November.

I think I'm discovering there's a pretty big difference in splits from branches and the upper tree from splits from the base of the tree. The limbs seem to be way ahead of the bottom ten feet of the tree (for example), and if the tree base is very wide, then that stuff may take many months to catch up.

I think I'm discovering there's a pretty big difference in splits from branches and the upper tree from splits from the base of the tree. The limbs seem to be way ahead of the bottom ten feet of the tree (for example), and if the tree base is very wide, then that stuff may take many months to catch up.
Was that fresh wood or dead standing?

Was that fresh wood or dead standing?
Only I can give a complex answer to that question! ;-) It was fresh wood when it fell, but there was a round (the bottom) simply too heavy for me to handle and too wet to split. I split it into quarters or smaller after a year. I got down to the bitter end of my wood last winter and began to split those big pieces. Sometimes seasoned wet wood will start to dry out indoors in a week or two, but I couldn't get ahead of the power curve with what I split out of the bottom round.

I also re-split some of the "little too big" splits from the same tree. I had no problems there.

Maybe the real conclusion is the seasoning clock doesn't start until it's split?

It was fresh wood when it fell
Sometimes even those small upper branches will stay wet for a long time, especially with Oak. Dead standing, the upper branches are often ready to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.