An hour of cutting an hauling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Went about 100 yards back to finish a down dead of an unknown species for about an hour today. Heres the results: about 13 19" rounds ready to be split after lunch. While I do that, I'll be thinking on the husky 22 ton at tsc on sale for $949.00 :shut: - I told myself next year

2012-02-07111953.gif

2012-02-07112216.gif

Backwoods said:
about 13 19" rounds ready to be split after lunch. While I do that, I'll be thinking on the husky 22 ton at tsc on sale for $949.00 :shut: - I told myself next year
I don't know what kind of wood that is but it looks like it may pop apart pretty easily...
I've got a power splitter but with this easy-splittin' Cherry, White Ash, straight hard Maple and BL, I'd just as soon split it with the ax. More fun and less noisy. :)

Woody Stover said:
Backwoods said:
about 13 19" rounds ready to be split after lunch. While I do that, I'll be thinking on the husky 22 ton at tsc on sale for $949.00 :shut: - I told myself next year
I don't know what kind of wood that is but it looks like it may pop apart pretty easily...
I've got a power splitter but with this easy-splittin' Cherry, White Ash, straight hard Maple and BL, I'd just as soon split it with the ax. More fun and less noisy. :)

It is easy splitting, did this load in about 20 minutes:

2012-02-07122047.jpg

Looks good Backwoods, sure made quick work of that, Gamma did say she can split firewood faster than that! ;-)

zap

Looks like an old ash tree to me...

lukem said:
That's what I guessed when I saw the splits in the wagon.

Woody Stover said:
lukem said:
That's what I guessed when I saw the splits in the wagon.
Yep looks like Green Ash, that stuff is great to burn, so far the Summit has liked big pieces of Green Ash the best.

I'll split the other half of the 2nd picture another day. I did however go back out and picked up another load of ash split that and stacked it. Picture below is about half of todays gettin

2012-02-07140826.jpg

The lower layer is from today.

Backwoods, that is some good wood. You also have a trailer that is similar to one of ours. I think we bought ours in 1980 and it is still going but we've had to fix it a few times. I don't use it much any more so a neighbor is using it to haul his wood right now.

Backwoods Savage said:
Backwoods, that is some good wood. You also have a trailer that is similar to one of ours. I think we bought ours in 1980 and it is still going but we've had to fix it a few times. I don't use it much any more so a neighbor is using it to haul his wood right now.

Yes, I finally got one. Saw it on craps list,ooops, I mean craigslist (stupid swype on my phone) got it for 40 bucks. In perfect shape except for alittle rust. Beats strapping wood on the racks.

And it works pretty good for hauling dirt too.

Status
Not open for further replies.