An Important message for those who split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Shagbark hickory is very heavy and is a pain in the neck to split. This has been a public service announcement. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Seriously, though, wow, that is some tough wood. The rounds from the upper parts of the tree were incredibly stringy and knotty. As I moved into the rounds form the main truck and closer to the base, they obviously got much bigger and heavier but were straight grained and popped apart relatively easily. It is stunning how much a medium-sized split weighs. I ought to do a test of weighing a particular piece now and two years from now when it will get burned.

richg said:
Shagbark hickory is very heavy and is a pain in the neck to split. This has been a public service announcement. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Seriously, though, wow, that is some tough wood. The rounds from the upper parts of the tree were incredibly stringy and knotty. As I moved into the rounds form the main truck and closer to the base, they obviously got much bigger and heavier but were straight grained and popped apart relatively easily. It is stunning how much a medium-sized split weighs. I ought to do a test of weighing a particular piece now and two years from now when it will get burned.

More strictly speaking, shagbark is high-density. High fiber-density, as in when air-dried.

I've found, and have heard, that you split it when green, or when solidly frozen. Too bad you really can't keep it for long, with the powder-post borers.

And ... the aroma of the exhaust is like perfume.

I have that weight test going on now. I cut a nice round last sping....weighed it after splitting it into quarters. Check the weight every month. Will keep you posted.

Glad to hear you guys are doing some experimenting and testing. That will only add to everyone's knowledge.

On the hickory, hydraulics are your friend! But it is great firewood.

On the powder post beetles, we don't worry about them. The wood will be fine after you knock the fine sawdust from it.

Gotta love it!............my best samples of hickory.
WB

Attachments

• wb_2009_001.jpg
    wb_2009_001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 662
  • hickory_003.jpg
    hickory_003.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 678
  • hickory_001.jpg
    hickory_001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 679
  • shagbark_002.jpg
    shagbark_002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 684
  • DSC_9556.jpg
    DSC_9556.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 669
  • woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 656
richg said:

Yeah, but you'll get great hot fires from it. Save it for midwinter!

LoL. Nothing new to add. Just here to join in. I found really quickly that instead of taking a couple of swings at a round (one to split, then one to get through the stringy-ness) it was easier to knock the sucker on its side and then pull them apart. if there weren't major knots in it, then they generally pulled apart with less effort than a maul swing. I tried using the sharp fiskars on them because i thought I could take one swing that would CUT right through the strings, but that was an ill conceived notion. weight of the maul did a better job of going most of the way through than the sharpness of the Fiskars.

Looks like the splitter was growling thru those splits!

I've got two 100+ year old shagbarks on my property. It they ever die, they will be bucked into great firewood for me. Must be 3-4 cords in each tree. One has got a big bees nest inside the trunk (black hornets)

For now, they are majestic and massive shade trees. I only cut up what mother nature puts on the ground for me. So these trees will out last me.

Nice to see these hickory splits for ID purposes - great score. See you've got a good helper too.

I had 2 shagbarks taken down. I will split them in the next month or so. The stuff will be nice and dry by next heating season. It is like concrete when you throw it on the pile. You really need a big bed of red hot ash and it will burn and burn and burn!

What is the difference, or is there any, between shagbark and pignut? Down here in Texas, I have hundreds of huge healthy pignuts on my property. Several each year lose the tops in storms and high winds. Some get blown down and I've cut a few standing dead. That is some HARD wood. I find it splits easier when I do it the same time I buck it. I've got some rounds on the ground right now that a Fiskars and an 8lb maul hardly dent. They feel like I'm lifting a slab of lead. But if you CAN break them up and let them dry a year or two they make some mighty fine burnin.'

Status
Not open for further replies.