An innovative motor/generator design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This is an interesting and novel motor design that is lightweight, all fuel, and evidently works quite well. It has been running for months under testing and so far shows promise.

http://www.innomot.org/#Range Extender

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Some fart smellers...er, I mean smart fellers out there are really using their noggins. I love seeing innovative stuff like this. A lot of the time it's a bust, but every once in a while, somebody hits that home run. It's the ones who just keep stepping up to the plate, game after game, hoping to blast the danged ball over the outfield fence who I really admire...because they know the odds are against them, but they try anyway.

Dr Herbert Hüttlin has been working on this engine since 1991. It's in it's 3d iteration and he has ideas to make it even more efficient.There are lots of clever solutions in his design, hope it makes it.

http://www.gizmag.com/huttlin-kugelmotor/19923/

That is pretty cool. I love new tech. Even the failures are "learning experiences".

This is somewhat akin to the newer design of low speed wind generators where the power generation is done at the tips of the blades instead of turning a much lower speed shaft genny.

Interesting & innovative. I'd like to hear Master Mech his thoughts on servicing either the engine or the motor though.

"Pre-production prototypes of 1.18 liter capacity have been in testing for some months and power output at present is 74kW (100hp) at 3000rpm with torque up to 290Nm (213ft-lb). Dr Hüttlin expects efficiency to increase by another 40% with reduced bearing friction and optimization of the combustion."

That's an awful lot of torque for 100HP.

Yes, I noticed that too. Diesel engine like torque and decent horsepower from 1.18 liters.

I like it! There is alot of precision German machineing there! Seems like it can only be indirectly fuel injected be the limitations of the design.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.