An interestiing change in events

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Well yesterday being nice I decided to check top plate seal and chimney cap due to the fact I installed it in cold weather. After I took off the cap I noticed that the top plate easily lifted off the tile in one spot. So I took the whole thing off scrapped the caulking off and reapplied a nice think bead and reinstalled everything. After a few hours to let it dry I started the stove and felt a noticeable amount of more heat than before. By the time I went to bed the house was up to 76 and it was just above freezing out. I woke up to coals and house was a 67 and no furnace running. Stove finally working well. Wish we had some really cold temps to put it to the test but it raining w/a thunderstorm as I write this. I will be installing a block off plate as well this weekend to help things further.

As you all may know I have been fighting with my stove shop telling them that stove isn't heating. Well it seems that I figured it out on my own with nobody offering any advice. I will NEVER recommend DEAN'S STOVE AND SPA to anyone. They lie to you, try to pass off used equipment as new and put charges on your bill for things you never bought. I know some of you have had good experiences with them but I've had nothing but trouble. I don't know how you become CT's best stove shop(or whatever they claim) with five complaints filed with the States Attorney General. That tells me your customer service SUCKS which it does. Oh well my rant is over my stove works and I never have to deal with them again. I found another shop that carries them.

Administrator's/moderator's, If you wish to delete my rant because it's not allowed that's fine. I just wish to inform people about them.

Silicone needs a clean surface to stick to. Chances are the area at the loose spot was dirty when you put it down. Cleaning with brushes, soap and water is not enough. A fast evaporating solvent should also be use to clean to remove any oils. I like alcohol and plain white paper towels.

Get that block off plate installed. Seal up the air leaks you can find in your home and add isolation. Heating in winter is not just a stove thing.

oh thank god man. i'm glad things are working for you better now.
forget about them, frustration leads to suffering (quoting Yoda)
be psych'd your running good now. just learn from the stove now... you 'had' a sweet spot before, it kind of changes with every load if your mixing woods or not packing the same. & get the block off on.

Glad things are finally working out for you Pete.

Ahh yes, Deans Stove and Spa of Plantsville CT. I knew Dean when he was just a kid and started out in a small deserted dress shop the size of a one car garage. Had about two stoves on display. He was a real people/customer person back then. But as most do, he go so big, he forgot the people that made him what he is. Sad but true.

Hey Pete, I'm glad this has worked out, and the block off plate can only improve it. (with a little wool above it).
For everyone, there is a construction adhesive product called Sikkens, (SP?) which is available from HD and others.
I've used this in many places to bond metal and masonary to each other and themselves; this stuff is great. I used it to install
some block off plates and it adheres like a rock. And, in fact I installed our house number plate to a rock and can't get it off.Good stuff.

Michael6268, You hit the nail on the head. You can't forget where you came from and the people who put your where you are but happens all the time when you get too big. Money usually gets in the way of customer service.

I am happy also I figured it out too but wish I did before I ripped through a cord of oak. Another one of life's learning experiences . Got a cord of wood being delivered tomorrow and have another one that'll be ready by March. I did a test burn today with it and it's almost there.

Status
Not open for further replies.