An iprovement for all Breckwell owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running the Kozi board for about a week and half. The stove has never run better. I'm burning less pellets. I have no more issues with the stove not re-lighting in the middle of the night, since now I can run it on high/low. I have also noticed that I can go a lot longer in between burn pot cleans. A lot of what I read, the on/off setting will cause more build up due to the cooling and heating constantly. Before running the stove high/low, I had to clean the burn pot everyday.

I know there are a lot better stoves out there. If you already have a Breckwell, this is well worth the money to make the stove run the way it should.

There hasn't been a lot interest in this but, I will keep updating incase someone with this issue stumbles upon this thread, and can be helped by it.

Reactions: jtakeman
Definitely interested in using the Kozi board but I just broke down and bought a new AE-401 for $250. I replaced the igniter and it still didn't solve my issue. The problems I am seeing all lead to a bad board. If this new board solves the problem, I'll resell it and get a Kozi and run on hi-low mode with the thermostat.

There is one website that had the Kozi board for $252. If you google Kozi Parts, I think it's the first sight that pops up. I kept my extra Breckwell board, just incase the Kozi board ever fails. I like to have spare parts sitting around, especially since this stove is the only source of heat I have, with the exception of electric baseboard in two of the four bedrooms.

There is one website that had the Kozi board for $252. If you google Kozi Parts, I think it's the first sight that pops up. I kept my extra Breckwell board, just incase the Kozi board ever fails. I like to have spare parts sitting around, especially since this stove is the only source of heat I have, with the exception of electric baseboard in two of the four bedrooms.

Here's the link. I never ordered from them, So not sure how good the service is. Might want to call em to get a feel for them?

http://www.countryhearthstoves.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=32&=SID

Here's the link. I never ordered from them, So not sure how good the service is. Might want to call em to get a feel for them?

http://www.countryhearthstoves.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=32&=SID

That's the one. When I was looking for one, I called them twice and they never answered. The first time was MLK day, so I though maybe they were closed for the holiday. I called the Tuesday after and didn't get an answer either. I won't order from online places unless someone can answer the phone, and put their hand on what I'm ordering.

Reactions: jtakeman
I've been running the Kozi board for about a week and half. The stove has never run better. I'm burning less pellets. I have no more issues with the stove not re-lighting in the middle of the night, since now I can run it on high/low. I have also noticed that I can go a lot longer in between burn pot cleans. A lot of what I read, the on/off setting will cause more build up due to the cooling and heating constantly. Before running the stove high/low, I had to clean the burn pot everyday.

I know there are a lot better stoves out there. If you already have a Breckwell, this is well worth the money to make the stove run the way it should.

There hasn't been a lot interest in this but, I will keep updating incase someone with this issue stumbles upon this thread, and can be helped by it.

You say its burning less pellets, But are you getting about the same heat? Glad your liken this. Hope it helps others too! ;)

Ever do the timing?

You say its burning less pellets, But are you getting about the same heat? Glad your liken this. Hope it helps others too! ;)

Ever do the timing?

The only thing I have to gauge the amount of heat is my boiler coil insert. I'm not seeing anymore of a rise with the inlet water temperature and the outlet. I still have the same 15 degree rise. I think I'm burning less for the obvious reason, the stove stays hot all the time.

I have not had a chance to do the timing. I've been busy at work and usually exhausted by the time I get home. I will try to get on it soon, once we have a decently warm day.

I have to first thank jtakeman for helping to point me in the right direction.

I have a Breckwell Big E. In my opinion, the biggest downfall with the stove was that it couldn't really operate very well on the high/low setting, and it doesn't have a auger to stir the burn pot. This post will help you fix the high/low problem.

Kozi makes a control board that they call the MX2. This board is a direct fit into the Big E. The boards side by side look exactly the same, with the exception of the Kozi has a few different components on the board. The Breckwell board has locations for these components, so I would have to assume the are made by the same manufacturer, then sold to the OEM's.

With the MX2 board installed in my Big E, I can run the stove on high/low off of a thermostat. I installed the board, got it running, set it on level 4, adjusted the air damper and it works perfect. When the thermostat isn't calling for heat, the level kicks down to 1 and doesn't blow the fire out.

The board cost me $300. Part number CBDKZ001. I only found one place online that would answer the phone when I called.

If you have a Breckwell that uses the same board as the Big E, would like to have a board that has variable combustion speed so you can run the stove on high/low, and not blow the fire out on low... the Kozi MX2 board may be the one for you.

I could kind of get away before with running 3 on high/low but, the fire would smoke real bad and even sometimes blow out. With the new board, I run 4 as my high, and it burns great on low. I'm not sure if the combustion speed is creating more heat, it makes sense that it would though. I noticed that the stove doesn't run very long on high and I seem to be using less pellets.
That being said, my thread should have said "for most" Breckwell owners.

If my stove didn't come with the house, I'm not sure that it would have been my first choice.
Do any of the OME boards have the variable combustion speed

Do any of the OME boards have the variable combustion speed
It seems that my board does the variable speed and it works well on hi/low not sure if is variable speed on different settings l leave it on 3. Does this sound right not sure to try and turn the speed down on the exhaust fan cause I think the heat is not what it should be? Any one know what I should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.