Ok, my daughter bought a house with a fire place. After the home inspection, it was deemed that the chimney was not safe. I know the exterior is made of brick and probably was original to the house (40 -50 years old?) I have not been to the house to look at the inside of the chimney. I can only assume it has a masonry liner. a) What is the potential reasons it is not safe? Besides an obvious blockage problems is a masonry liner not up to code? Is the grout between the masonry units not problematic? b) Not knowing the size, what's the possibility of running a steel liner down the chimney? I would helping her get an insert in the future if this can be done? c) Any other sage advice?