Anchorage Alaska storm alert::

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I got email alert from Alaska DOT::

"NEWS ALERT

Eighteen inches of heavy snow is anticipated to fall in the Anchorage bowl and the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities is encouraging people to stay home if they can in order to help city and state crews manage the snow removal.

The department is moving resources in from other areas around the state to supplement the equipment and operators already in Anchorage to help manage the storm. “Know that your Department of Transportation Maintenance and Operations,†said Commissioner Marc Luiken, “has all available equipment and crew out working to clear the streets as quickly as possible.â€

Stay tuned to 511 for additional travel advisories."

WINTER is still here, 6 more weeks BLAAAAAA :)
To get 7" here, plowed 6" so far & still snowing. :roll:

Pic from Parks Hwy just N of Anch:

Attachments

• Vid-000351006-00-00-2012-02-04-01-04.jpg
    Vid-000351006-00-00-2012-02-04-01-04.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 377
I was supposed to work a 3-11 today, was told to stay home. Everything at work is shut down so no use for my coming in. I didn't complain, I get paid weather I'm at work or not :lol:

Sorry for the assault Mother Nature has thrown your way..Is this a worst ever winter record for you guys?...Being I used to work a 24/7 job, I have been out in some pretty bad storms..especially a few years ago in long island in the middle of the night..18-24 inch storms...Thought I'd go out of my mind...I feel so bad for ya...

Be careful out there..my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and neighbors...Hope you don't lose power..

piejam said:
Sorry for the assault Mother Nature has thrown your way..Is this a worst ever winter record for you guys?...Being I used to work a 24/7 job, I have been out in some pretty bad storms..especially a few years ago in long island in the middle of the night..18-24 inch storms...Thought I'd go out of my mind...I feel so bad for ya...

Be careful out there..my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and neighbors...Hope you don't lose power..

Don't be sorry. This is a "Good Snow Storm". 20°f, & lots & lots of snow :) :) :)
If you don't like snow, don't live in Alaska ;)

Down side is they just re-opened the Seward highway from a couple avalanches , this much new snow may close it again.

Stay home on Super Bowl Sunday. There's a tough assignment for you, yes?

I know what you mean about a good storm; enjoy. Ours never materialized, and we are basking in -10 weather right now. I'm home w/bare feet up on the couch, dog and cat and fire have been fed. A productive week at work. Boy's out at his dad's for the weekend, and I'm letting it all roll away . . . me and my Netflix . . . I just might even pop a bowl of popcorn. How's that for spoiled?

Movie recommendation for you armchair Alaska travelers: The Guardian. Parts of it were truly shot on Kodiak, and locals point out the hotel where Ashton Kutcher stayed. Now there's a place that knows how to throw a storm . . .

Hang in there Dave! Only six weeks of winter left! or eight. or ten. Absolute tops, ten weeks. Or eleven. You can do eleven weeks standing on your head in the corner whistling Dixie.

You'll be poking around in that green house any day now.

Phft!! I just measured the daffodils. They are at 8". Greenhouse hit 80F today. I think I will stay down south.

Sorry. Not possible. That was written in some kind of time warp. There are no daffodils growing at this time. Back to the future with your good self . . .

Got me. I will have to wait until tomorrow to provide pics that reset the time continuum.

Looks like the storm is about done. Didn't measure but I'd guess 6-7" total. Nothing too crazy, though I'm starting to wonder how bad it's going to flood come spring with all this snow. My neighbors yard drains into mine and mine drains into my neighbors. He might need to buy a boat!

when i life anchorage today lotsa people stuck, super slow travels tell eagle river (they cant drive the people of eagle river) but there was 10 maybe 12 inches of snow.

Well they shouldn't be lacking for snow to run the Iditarod this year. I'll bet there will be some areas that are really tough going though because of the deep snow.

18" of snow anywhere can cause some big time problems. Then if you go south, even an inch can cause big problems....

39.5" for us from this storm

431327_2610831586468_1125352659_32056494_901456574_n.jpg

Great picture gmule
40" is hard to find a place to put it . Looks like you have a good trail open.
What did you lose with 40" covering up everything ?
I bet the snow machine riders are in heaven :)

We average 150-200 inches of snow year. I make sure everything is picked up by the end of September. This storm covered up the 4 cords of logs I brought home on Wednesday and Thursday. Since I am ahead on CSS it is not a big deal.

200" :bug:
Well you need allot more of storms like this one to happen pretty soon to be on average :)
Hope you don't get them though, looks like you have enough for the year ;)
Like said here, "it'll be there come spring, after the snow melts :)

gmule said:
all i can say is wow . glad im not dealing with that

j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
gmule said:

Smile that was us in October. Over 40" at my house and it was stinking heavy!
we got hit hard but not 40" i cant remember the amount of snow . i was to busy trying to stay warm no backup power at the time .lol

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
gmule said:

Smile that was us in October. Over 40" at my house and it was stinking heavy!
we got hit hard but not 40" i cant remember the amount of snow . i was to busy trying to stay warm no backup power at the time .lol

You need a woodstove, no power needed for them to burn and crank heat! I'm spoiled with my pellet eater, But not trading in my wood eater for nothin! We were sweating from the warmth and cooking of mine! ;-)

bogydave said:
200" :bug:
Well you need allot more of storms like this one to happen pretty soon to be on average :)
Hope you don't get them though, looks like you have enough for the year ;)
Like said here, "it'll be there come spring, after the snow melts :)

We are at a 135.5 for the season and March/April usually dumps on us.

I do miss having lots of snow like I'm used to growing up in northern Maine. The "record" levels we have been getting seem weak compared to a normal Maine winter.

Talk about some real fun last night eh? Some sections of the Glenn was black ice so bad that touching the brakes didn't do anything at all.

Pulled a barely conscious guy out of the road when there car passed me doing 80-90mph (speed limit of 65 though everyone was doing 35-40) Car pretty much exploded as he slammed into a snowpile and then into a metal pole. Guess he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Anyhow stove is pretty much shutdown with this mid winter thaw. One small fire every other night has been plenty to keep the house in the 70s. I don't mind the warmer temps but it sure makes driving a pain, hard to tell if it's water, ice or what... and the ice is slicker than snot on a chickens lip. Could ice skate in my driveway right now even after I put down almost 40lbs of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.