ancient wood boiler system and north idaho energy logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kkeeney

Feb 5, 2014
Seattle, WA
Hi, I have a ANCIENT (aka, it was in my house when my grandpa lived here) wood boiler system. It lives in my basement, and until now we have used wood. Our delivery guy suggested we try the north Idaho energy logs, and after reading all their great claims, we decided to order a pallet. Followed the instructions, but the water is still only at 100 after 1.5 hours of burning- when we were using juniper it was at 140 by now. Any suggestions on how to make these more awesome? (I have only been using the wood boiler furnace for 1 year, so definitely a newbie)

We know nothing about your boiler, or operating procedures. Most likely if it's that old most of the heat is going up the chimney - but we just don't know. You should certainly be able to get higher boiler temps that that out of what you're burning - 100 is practically cold.

Welcome to Hearth! You are at the right place for all things heat and water!

Can you post us some pics, and give us more info to go on so we can help......

I echo Maple's post, old wood boilers are wood hogs and creosote makers.....had one, got rid of it.

TS

I've no idea why but some compressed combustibles don't seem to burn well or at all in updraft combustion chambers. Just like in the 80's when people were trying to burn newspaper logs. They would burn but didn't put out any heat to speak of.

Just checked out the Energy Log website....looks like an interesting product but they make no mention of being used in Wood Boilers....they are specific in the list of appropriate uses and the absence of Wood Boiler wood cause me to pause...

Status
Not open for further replies.