And 3 years later we find its installed wrong!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caledoniacars

Aug 13, 2009
Michigan
As we are coming up on our 4th season heating with our US Stove 6100 furnace I contacted US Stove about what parts/gaskets I needed to eliminate their know soot issue and just figured it was time. After sending pics, reciepts, dates, times and a small dna sample they quickly informed me that my install was not only wrong but dangerous. I apparently have too much horizonal run. I spent $1200 on a "professional" install from our local hvac dealer. I have had the manual open 700 times but never bothered to read the specs on a proper install. After spending the long dollar on a install I never imagined i would have to. Now we are waiting for them to come and reinstall. Just a few words of advice for all those others that assume their contractors know wtf they are doing. inspect what you expect!!

I'm sure you realize it now, but why would you have an HVAC contractor install the piping for the stove? I would have gone to a stove dealer.

Tom C.

IMHO most stove dealers wouldn't install a stove/furnace not bought from them. You probably need to see an independent like an HVAC tech for installs. Or do it yourself.

j-takeman said:
IMHO most stove dealers wouldn't install a stove/furnace not bought from them.

Exactly!

If a contractors agrees to install a unit, he should be the responsible one, including install specs.......unbelievable.. Hope all gets taken care of.

They said we would "work it out". If it doesn't work in our favor I will cut the wife loose on them!!!

sinnian said:
Most states require a certified solid fuels contractor, not a HVAC.

I'd love to see that list of regulations state by state! What about all those who self-installed?

Oh.........a topic of passion for myself!

Service is the problem... buying from a dealer with value added service isn't always a guarantee either....here are some ways the dealer service option fails too.

1. Dealer went out of business
2. Dealer’s service area does not extend to where the customer lives
3. Dealer does not provide service for a stove they did not sell (purchasing dealer)
4. Dealer only provides service for brands they sell (exclusive dealer)
5. Dealer will not provide service for a stove they did not install (cannot verify installation)
6. Dealer does not return calls
7. Dealer no longer supports or sells that brand
8. Dealer is overbooked
9. Dealer/ Consumer relationship has failed
10. Dealer cannot solve the problem
11. Dealer lost or never had service employees
12. Manufacturer went out of business
13. Manufacturer no longer supports model
14. Manufacturer sells the product at outlets without service
15. Consumer acquired the stove and does not know who to call (think home sale)

Ask the guy that did the install to show you a copy of the signed off building permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.