And so begins the OSBURN 2400 insert INSTALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlegs

Feeling the Heat
I have begun the "INSTALL" !!! Now for all the experienced folks on here this is no big deal. But for those who are tackling thier first ever install (and since I am a home repair novice) it is intimadating.

*Before I start sharing the details, I would like to say on behalf of evey FNG that tries this stuff out on his/her own, THANKS to everyone here for making this such an invaluable resourse. You folks are helpful from begining to end (not condensending or snorky), big job or just a question, and in my opinion this is what Al Gore had in mind when he invented the internet. :>)

I've been reading a bunch of postings on here, and decided that I could do it myself, and so I put the installation contractor on standby. I am buying the liner from the contractor (Homesaver 316Ti) and his 1/2in liner insulation at a real good price. I also just ordered (from Wood at Obidiahs) the Osburn connector Part # AC02006. Its a mechcanical connector that bolts the liner to the insert from the inside, and , I also ordered a hinged top plate so that I can run a brush to cleanout the liner myself.
I plan on fabricating my own block-off plate, and as discussed on multiple threads I special ordered the Rolox insulation from Lowes. No - the guy in the isle had never heard of Stone fiber "Rolox" material, BUT, because you all had prepared me, I brought along a printed page from the Lowes website. I just went to customer service and ordered it. 4 big sheet/bats for less than $36 (military discount = Thanks Lowes!) which are rated at R30 insulation value.

I started out last night by pulling the new insert out of the way, so that I could take some measurments and draw up a plan to fit the new liner thru the damper/smoke shelf area. My previous insert (the Shannandoah Smoke Dragon 2000HD) was a "slam job" so I did have the benefit of having the damper plate already removed, however the rest of the damper frame assembly was still intact and some of that would have to go. Also, after some initial measuring, I came to the realization that some of the bricks/mortar of the front edge of my smoke shelf would have to go too. I am going to add a post with pictures and text to chronicle my progess below. All the "experienced guys/gals" feel free to chime in and help keep me from getting too far off the path, and also feel feel to add all the "what to watch out for next" comments.

Thanks again and wish me luck posting pictures.

img][/img]

Attachments

• OSBURN 2400.jpg
    OSBURN 2400.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,017
This is how the started. The smokeshelf is toward to bottom (and is furthest in the back of the chimney if that amkes sense) and the top of this photo is toward the frnt of the chimney

Attachments

• Start damper and smokeshelf.jpg
    Start damper and smokeshelf.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 505
Well, at this point, I will just say it sounds like you have done your home work so far, and the hearth you are starting with is beautiful. Keep the forum posted and I am sure you will get all the help you need.......great bunch here. ;-) And welcome to the forum.

Here is a shot after having removed the first brick from the smoke shelf. I wasn't quite sure about doing that, but after tapping it a couple with a three pound hammer, the motar gave way and the brick slide back. I figured what the heck , it's loose now, I may as well pull it out. I should add that for me this was the point of now return. As long as the chimney/smokeshelf was intact I had not screwed up anything and I quit at anytime and just call the contractor... BUT, once I remover this brick there was no turning back - it "officially" became a DIY project!

Attachments

• first brick.jpg
    first brick.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 458
OK, here is where I ran out of gas at shortly after eleven pm on last night. I had removed bricks, one by one, from the top two tiers, and then cut away )with grinder and sawsall) a portion of the damper assembly frame. I checked witha tape measure and this gave me 10in of clearance through that opening. The rest of the chimney is a 13in x 13in so no problem running the insulated 6 in liner down throught that. The 1/2 in think insulation is due in WED or THUR, and I will tape it on to the 316Ti SS Homesaver liner once I get it.

Attachments

• End first night.jpg
    End first night.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 447
Ok, so here is my first big concern. While measuring and altering last night I noticed the back inside of the hearth was missing some mortar and had some cracked bricks. I saw online a site to order some caulking tubes of hight temp mortar cement/patch...is that needed for this, or does this repair call for a mason, or can I just forget it as I am installing an insert, or should i get a local someone to come look at it?

Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 460
My damper area is just a bit different, as it 90 degrees o er the smoke shelf, back of chimney part. When I cut it all out it was just 1/4" metal, easy work for a 4-1/2" grinder with metal cutting wheel. Mt problem was with the part of the assembly, identical to your pic, that is toward the face of the opening. It prevented me from bending the liner enough to attach to the insert. I was lucky enough to have to have room to just push it in beyond where I could attach the surround. So mine is pushed in beyond the point where I can attach the surround, no surround.
I wanted a block off plate as made in the wiki of this site for block off plates, sheet metal cut to fit and Roxul, but then trying to figure where to cut the hole where the liner would come down and attach to insert, because it is not centered, threw me. I talked to local shops and the 3 I spoke with told me all they ever do is stuff fiberglass insulation around the liner at the top. It was very difficult to get the liner to the insert just pushing it down the chimney and working with what little room that is left ion the opening once an insert is in it. I employed child labor for this task, my 11 yr old nephew. His small hands and arms made short work of it. Over at Rockford Chimney Supply(google it) They sell what they call an offset box, in the "adapter" section of their site. The offset box attaches to the insert, and can slide front to back, 6" stock, $169 or extra $$ for whatever you need. I need 8" slide forward, and it is going to be $200.

That's a lot of knockout, why? is it to get your bend?

@ Mr A. After I took out the first brick, I measured and still did not have enough room for the 6in liner plus 1/2 in insulation. I decided that I would have to go at least one more row down. After I pulled the bricks on the second row out, I re-measured and found I had enough clearance for the liner/insulation. I guess what I did not want was to have such a narrow opening that I tore-up the foil wrap on the insulation. Just being picky maybe, but as I am planning on a custom fit block off plate to close off that gap, I figured may as well make the line install easy on me with a well sized hole?

@ Mr A I actually thougth about ordered "ovalized" liner and leaving the smoke shelf/damper asmb intact, but as could only clean it my completly dissesembling my unit, I opted for to just make room for the round liner. I think your setup would have had me scratching my head awhile. Did you say your smokeshelf was toward the front/face of the hearth - or just the damper frame was in opposite mine?

One more pict before I hit the rack tonight, and I only include this one as a "what not to do" photo, and as a note on installation safety. This was taken just after I had removed a brick (which missed my head by 1/4 in) and ingested most of the 2 in of soot and ash that had been laying on top of said brick. I was gagging and sputtering and so my good friend decided that would make a great time to snap a photo. I included it here to share with over FNGs that even MIL SPEC balclavas are no substitute for proper respirators. If you are going to try a job like this yourself please get:
1. Eye protection
2. Respirator
3. Gloves
4. Full face shield - especially in grinding/cutting/hammering on the stuff above you while you lay on your back underneath it. Live and learn. Let my pain be your gain.

Attachments

• safety.jpg
    safety.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 545
It's a PITA all the way around! Best advice is be patient, expect it to be difficult. Even then it may not work. If I had the $$ I would pay the high priced install guys, and they would probably tell me the same thing! Yea my head was that black without a ski mask,and just had the chimney "professionally" cleaned.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20120304_115157.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20120304_115157.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 370
We also had the chimney "professionally cleaned" and the entire thing was full of ash and soot...and it was stacked deep on the smoke shelf. I was reluctant to try it on my own, but I guess the bottom line for me was that there is no black magic involved so I figured I could have a go at it, plan to overbuild/over safe it all, and hey -if I get stuck real bad I could punt and call a pro in.

Status
Not open for further replies.