1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

And so it begins... Pellet season.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by TheMightyMoe, Jun 23, 2013.

1. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Sam's just started putting out their pellets up here, home depot said they won't have theirs till late August. Starting my pile early, and plan on keeping it stocked all winter this time around. No more dropping 1600$ at once on pellets and waiting till mid-September for them to get here.

Just picked up 30 bags of Hot shots, already had 30 bags of blazers and 20 bags of superior pellets. Plan on swinging by and grabbing another 30 after work. Need around 300 bags to get me through one season. 5.38 a bag. I could probably do 40 in the truck (2013 Tacoma), but 30 bags fills the bed neatly.

IMG_1293.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

A man with a plan...
    Defiant, will711 and Eatonpcat like this.
  3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    great white northern ontario
    Gotta have a plan, it's the way to go to get deals......
  4. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I think max payload is around 1700lbs. I usually do 20-25 bags :)
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Pellet season? I though everyday was pellet season! :p

Let the hunt begin! :cool:
  6. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Nice stash start! Too bad you are out of my range!!!!!!
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Laying on the Crete in the basement? Or garage? Remember, moisture loves pellets, but pellets don't love moisture :)

Nice stash..... :cool: Can I come by and hang out? I have a van and will travel ;lol
  8. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    You should probably get those off the concrete. Ask HD if they have any pallets they'll give you with your order. And I don't blame you, if I lived in Alaska I'd be stocking up all year round.
  9. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    HD usually starts seling around mid july here
  10. TheMightyMoe

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Meh that corner has never gotten wet, and if I lose the bottom row, I'll live. Pellet season starts when they start putting the pellets out.

As for the payload, it's actually only rated to 1350 minus my weight. So around 1,100 pounds of pellets (27 bags). I've seen so many trucks overloaded in my life time, so I'm pretty sure a extra 500 won't kill it, but I also error on the side of caution.
  11. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Wow looked in my manual stated 1700lbs. for extended cab mines an 02 so things may have changed.

edit :1630lbs. stick shift extra cab
    Defiant likes this.
  12. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Will, heard you had the bed filled with a ton of Busch Light on a few occasions!!!!
    will711 likes this.
  13. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Sometimes we must push the limits especially if it includes Beer:cool:
    DoWnAqT, smoke show and Defiant like this.
  14. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    How far is your drive? I've got a 2010 Tundra which I get a little leary after 30 bags. I usually make 2 or 3 trips of about 33 each to get 2 ton
  15. TheMightyMoe

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.

30 bags really doesn't affect the drive too much, just stops / starts, less then a mile away. When I was looking at Tundras @ dealer, they had about the same carrying capacity, but more towing capacity.
  16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    great white northern ontario
    Here i was putting 40-35 bags loads inside my Toyota Sienna van when i buy a skid of 75's. My last trip with my Trebio's, i had 23-40lb bags along with 63-17lb bags for a total of 1991lbs including the princess for the ride. I was way over my usual hauls!!!. Good thing i removed the two center seats and placed the load in the center of the vehicle. And it was for a long haul taken slowly:oops:, at least below my usual driving speed.
  17. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Twice I've seen a guy thinking he's a hero (2 different guys on 2 different occasions) put 2 tons in the back of a 1/2 ton truck. I don't know how far they made it. Neither one came back and did it again. They were warned but didn't listen.
    sinnian likes this.
  18. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I thought pellet season never ended in Alaska. Sounds like you got a good plan going:cool:
  19. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    Wow I'd be afraid I'd bust a spring or something....
  20. TheMightyMoe

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Depending on the Sienna the carrying capacity can vary from like 1500 - 1700, 500 over wouldn't scare me too much, these are the rated capacities, not maximum capacities. Vans are engineered with 8+ passengers in minds. The scariest would be an accident while overloaded, hence why they have a maximum rated capacity. The same reason if I do overload its only a 100 or so pounds.

Pellet season starts when I can start getting pellets without calling everyday. No stores up here stock all year, which to me is kind of dumb, seeing as any store that has them, sells out quickly.
  21. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    Just this morning received first email in quite a while from Rob at Greene Team, announcing deliveries in my area starting mid July. Anxious to see if the pricing will be any better than last year. Love the Greene Team, but not at last year's pricing.

Anyone seen them in Lowe's yet, and if so at what price?
  22. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Haven't seen them yet. But I expect the GT's to be Lowes Ultra pellet and the price will be above the other pellet brands just like last season. As for other brands, I imagine at least a $10.00 increase in my area. Past 3 seasons that's what the increase was. I heard from a birdie that thought they could be as high as $240 to $245/ton at the box store this fall.

Next time I'm at HD/Lowes I'll check prices.

Edit, Got an update from Robbie. Lowe's got some GT's on the 28th.
  23. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I have an old s-10 for hauling and running around on weekends. It's a long box and the RPO tag says 1500 pound payload (3.73 rear end and a 4 banger too, someone at GM thought it was a good idea). 25 bags is marginal. I did 30 bags once. It was almost on the overloads. Braking wasn't bad but it had a nasty wander due to all the weight. Good thing it wasn't far to get home. I don't go over 25 bags anymore. :)
  24. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    Got the same email from Robbie as well. They are shipping to every Lowes in So NH and eastern Mass.
  25. TheMightyMoe

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.