And so it begins..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
I had a cancellation today so I had time to bring in the wood rack and fill it with wood. It's getting chilly here these next few days and I think the heating season has kicked off.

Man the fire feels good!!

I know it is coming. Had to put on a jacket to take the woodpile panther for her walk in the woods tonight.

I hope the BK is everything ya wanted it to be. Give the cold 30 a pat on the top plate for me. :cheese:

Just fired up a few minutes ago. Suppose to get down to the upper 20's tonight but next week looks like a warming trend. Got a love the shoulder season.

Todd said:
Just fired up a few minutes ago. Suppose to get down to the upper 20's tonight but next week looks like a warming trend. Got a love the shoulder season.

Ditto on the fire up! its supposed to be in the 30's here tonight.

My buddy just happen to bring me over a little over a face cord of klin dried yellow pine from a roof truss manufacturing company Today.....

all the wood is anywhere from 12" to 22" in length!

Bring it on!!!!!! :lol:

Today was the first day I had to start a fire. The wife was complaining it was to cold this morning. So I start the fire before going out deer hunting. I always try to get into October before starting a fire. Hate to watch those pretty stacks of wood disapear. Iam starting out with 30 full cord and last year I used just 10.5 face cord for the whole season.

cjsplitter said:
Iam starting out with 30 full cord and last year I used just 10.5 face cord for the whole season.

A wood burner's version of mixing metaphors. Love it.

Hello all!,
It has definitely begun here... the leaves are turning and dropping...I hauled home 3 face cords today, stacked and covered...I found a farmer who runs a firewood business on the side...the splits are huge and the price in half from what I paid last year. Look forward to wood heat and the "Hearth Room". Cheers!

Ian

76ER said:
Hello all!,
It has definitely begun here... the leaves are turning and dropping...I hauled home 3 face cords today, stacked and covered...I found a farmer who runs a firewood business on the side...the splits are huge and the price in half from what I paid last year. Look forward to wood heat and the "Hearth Room". Cheers!

Ian

Gonna be good wood to burn. Next year.

BB,
The splits I got were cut a year ago...seem just fine.

Ian

Yep got down to mid 40's last night and I tried an overnight fire for first time. So far was just doing individual break in fires. The new stove looks and performs great - only problem is no wheres near overnight burn times. Oh well, got lots of learning to do and things to try this first year

76ER said:
Hello all!,

Ian
Sounds good 76er, I too had been buying from a local farmer. Out of the 4 or 5 different places I ordered wood from in last 3 years his was the only wood that was truly seasoned and it was cheaper than the rest too. However since I bought a saw this year I am doing most of it myself. Its a long drive to the families farm but I love going there and it still cheaper and I can cut and split to the size I want. My stuff isnt quite ready yet though so still buying from the farmer.

Oh and had to take some pics of the new stove in action!

Attachments

• IMG_1777-800.jpg
    IMG_1777-800.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_1773-800.jpg
    IMG_1773-800.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 350
I moved a little wood inside yesterday too.

Newbarn-2.gif

In the fifties outside and cloudy and drizzling. Brought in some wood, pulled out a Super Cedar and then decided to just walk over and flip on the electric radiator heater. Not much as far as a view of the fire but it was real easy to just flip the switch. :red:

Maybe in the morning. Maybe not.

Backwoods Savage said:
I moved a little wood inside yesterday too.

Newbarn-2.gif

Backwoods, What type of construction is your building? Kinda looks like a metal building or is it just metal sided. Sorry to change the subject!

Most of us has seen the metal carports for sale all over the place and that is what we got. We bought it in the A-frame style and as you can see, we had it fully enclosed. There is also an overhead door on the other end of the building.

Funny that we could have got this thing about $100 cheaper or somewhere around that. The problem was we called the company and asked the simple question, "If I decide to buy that thing tomorrow, when will it be delivered?" They told me a minimum of 4-6 weeks and possibly longer. The problem was they had no orders at all from Michigan. So I went to a different place and got a quote. I then called that company and asked the same question. They told me it would be within 4-7 days. I ordered it on Friday and it was delivered the following Wednesday.

We got the heavier gauge steel and also 6 mobile home anchors. I do wish we had went with 7' or 8' sidewalls though and another walk-in door on the opposite end.

BTW, It's been a cold 50s today getting down to upper 30s but I'm not ready to start a fire. The PE still needs cleaned at the damper area (will try to do tonight) and I still need to make a baffle gasket. I'm still working on the Englander install (see other post if you can help). And I have yet to move my seasoned wood to my covered area. Normally I'm on top of things but a family member moving has priority. To make it worse, my brother-in-law borrowed some wood to start a fire in his open fireplace. I guess he'll get to use my wood before I do. :)

I wouldn't let the BIL do that!!! lol

pile o wood, Nice pics of your 550 in action. I am still holding out to the bitter end. Went down to 36 here last night but house temp stayed at 65. Will probably be lighting up sometime this week. :)

labrador said:
pile o wood, Nice pics of your 550 in action. I am still holding out to the bitter end. Went down to 36 here last night but house temp stayed at 65. Will probably be lighting up sometime this week. :)

Thanks Lab... I'd probably be holding out too (we have propane also) but since the insert is new we were just too excited to wait. The furnace is set to 66 and its been comming on now for a week. So I figure might as well start burning some wood. Not cold enough for the stove but we figured the insert isnt going to throw out nearly as many btu's. We have 500 gal propane on pre-buy plus about 100gal in it so that should suffice for part of the shoulder seasons and backup heat when were not home. I think last year we used almost 800 just as backup, hopefully now with 2 stoves we'll nock that down to 600g. However I might have to post some concerns in one of the Rockland threads since it just isnt putting out like expected. But want to burn with it for a few weeks before I comment, since its only been a few days and I'm still learning how to run it.

We have lift-off here in the NY Catskills.
It's not that cold, but what am I going to do with all this firewood sitting in my yard.

Woke up this morning at 5:45 to a 57 degree house. Forgot to close the windows last night, hehehe, I like to sleep cold, but that was a bit too extreme. Just lit up the Jotul an hour ago and we are up to the mid sixties already. The oak is so dry was able to start with some newspaper and a few small splits. Noice.

pile o' wood, I have fuel oil as my backup to two wood burners. Last year I used 383 gal. of oil, 95% of which was used for domestic hot water. You will find it takes a while to get used to the Rockland. Often I have to crack the door just a bit to get it started. How big a room are you heating or the whole house? You have probably done the three break in fires already. Good luck with it. ;-) Labrador

labrador said:
pile o' wood, I have fuel oil as my backup to two wood burners. Last year I used 383 gal. of oil, 95% of which was used for domestic hot water. You will find it takes a while to get used to the Rockland. Often I have to crack the door just a bit to get it started. How big a room are you heating or the whole house? You have probably done the three break in fires already. Good luck with it. ;-) Labrador

Don't want to derail this thread but to answer your questions... yeah break in done. I actually had 5 and started the first one at 250 and went up almost exactly 100* each time. Probably more than needed, but it just worked out that way. I'm trying to heat the new side of our house. It is an addition that doubled the house size. I had wrote down that its 22'x36' thats about 800sqft. Now the great room the insert is in goes up the full two stories, so I guess you still count the sqft for the upstairs, so 1600 sqft, even though there is only about 1200 of actual floor space. the upstairs hallway is open to the great room, so heat travels up there good and there is 1 bathroom and the mbr. Downstairs underneath the second floor is the kitchen. I'm going to try to put a register in the farthest corner between mbr and kitchen to create a loop.

I might just be expecting too much fromt his unit, and/or more heat is going to upstairs bedroom then anywhere else. But here is the thing... Our thermostat is about 10-12ft away from the Rockland and running it all day yesterday (usually running 450-500) the thermostat only peaked at about 68.5*. It was about 50* out... thats whats got me worried. I figured at 50* that we'd be roasting ourself out, not maintaining 68 and still putting on a flannel. FWIW I was usually running it up into the 600's for the begining of the burn cycle and it might drop into the 300's before reload. I usually left the air 1/2 open, and it was bruning through 3 splits alot quicker than I thought as well. With our old stove at 450 it would heat the entire house (barely) when it was below freezing (~2700sqft).

I too had my first fire of the season saturday night, got into the low 40's/upper 30s, i could see my breath outside so i decided it was time to warm the house up a bit (didn't really need it as my house holds heat really well) but i wanted to! in a matter of no time we were TOO hot and had to crack the basement door to cool us a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.