And so the heating season begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzer

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
CT
Guess I know were to find the puppy this winter.

Glinda001sm.JPG

Got my first oil fill (hopefully last??) of the year, 116gals for the last 6months for DHW - not to bad(yeah right) and I also started burning this evening. Seemed like a good day, supposed to have frost across most of CT tonight.

Unfortunatly I don't have the 13-NC installed and inspected but I do have the cook stove in the kitchen from when we purchased the house and that is doing good. Thanks to this site figured out that I was using to large of splits and damping the stove way down last year - causing some nasty creosote. Hopefully this year is much better.

Glinda003sm.JPG

Now if my daughter will wake me up everynight after sleeping for a few hours I will be all set with reloading the stove(s).

Stew

Nice looking stove. And yes, most dogs will love that setup! When I was a kid my mother did all of her cooking on a wood stove and we also heated all our water in a reservoir that was built in. I also remember that most of the time the oven door was open and covered with gloves. Nice spot for drying and also a nice spot for cold feet!

I agree you have to damper down the cook stove but you also absolutely must burn only very dry wood. For cooking purposes, pine works great as it gives a quick and hot fire. Doesn't last long but works good for cooking. Split whatever you are using very small.

Pug! We have had many pugs, hands down the best house dog out there. and yes, they will soak up the heat! I would love a stove like that in my kitchen..We have something like that, although bigger in our hunting camp!

I'm a "cat person", not a dog person . . . but I loved the pic of the pug and the stove.

Firefighterjake, That is really suprising, who would have thunk. by your avatar and your profession one would have guessed that you are a big fan of dogs!! I thought all firefighters had dalmations? I guess one can never assume.

ScottF said:
Firefighterjake, That is really suprising, who would have thunk. by your avatar and your profession one would have guessed that you are a big fan of dogs!! I thought all firefighters had dalmations? I guess one can never assume.

Nah . . . I'm one of those people who you will read about some day that dies and the relatives go in to their home and find something like 100 bazillion cats running wild. :) ;)

Actually, I'm down to four cats now . . . my oldest cat . . . John Tyler died this past weekend.

The dalmatian in the avatar is Bubba -- a firefighter's dalmatian . . . who has since gone on to Doggy Heaven as well . . . he's probably chasing John Tyler up a tree as we speak. :) ;)

I actually owned a "dalmatian" once . . . well he was more of a "dalmound" . . . or maybe that would be a "houndation". If you looked at him on the right side he looked like a dalmatian . . . but if you looked at him on the left side he looked like a hound dog. He combined the "worse" traits in both species as he would just run and run and run and never listened to any of my commands.

After dealing with Flash I realized that I like dogs . . . as long as they're somebody else's dogs and not my own. :) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.