and so the hunt begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.someof you may remember that back in feb i picked up a used harman. well i gave it a complete overhaul and new paint job and then proceeded to remove my meridian and install the harman in its place.i was a little disappointed that the stove did not produce the heat that i thought it would.while i know it is a rock solid stove and built like a tank i think it was a little undresized for what i was trying to heat.stove is located in a 250sqft cathedral room at the back of my house with a 6ft wide opening from that room into the ist flr which is about 1,100sqft.the challenge was how to get the heat from that room into the main body of the house.there is a thru the wall fan also which helps move the air.my observation was that the meridian did a better job overall.when i removed my meridian it was with the intention of installing it in my basement which is fully finished and well insulated.i built a raised corner hearth and will have scott williamson do the install as i will need to go thru foundation and not thru window as discussed in another thread.(gas meter clearance).
back to the upstairs stove.so i had to redo my venting when i removed my meridian to install the harman.center of the meridian vent was 18" and the harman was 7".so i took it all apart ,cut out new hole to accomadate the new height and proceded to patch previous hole.i used the harman for maybe 2 months and decided to sell it which happened pretty fast.so with the profit i made on the harman i am now in the market for another stove for the 1st floor of my house.
stove prices quad cb 1200 $1900
quad cab 50 $1400
vistaflame 100 $1580 (this is a clone of the meridian)
englander refurb 10 cpm $1300ish

i was all set to pull the trigger on the cb 1200 but have been reading a lot of negative reviews on it.wiseheat.com is pretty much ripping this stove a new one. a local dealer told me it had problems burning barefoot pellets,producing clinkers and choking out the fire.the height of the vent on the quad is at 9" off the floor and the existing hole i have now is at 7" so i can make that work with a little tlc.
i am not limited to these stoves and am open to suggestions.i have a budget of $2000.i do have my meridian up for sale also as my line of thinking up to this point is a cab50 in the basement and the cab 1200 on the ist flr.what say you all

Out of all the stoves I have, my Classic Bay 1200 is by far the cleanest burning and has the best input to output performance. It heats like nobodies business. The CPM may be a good stove, and go for long periods without cleaning, along with true multi fuel capabilities. Its output is not what my Quads is....

The PS-50 is a CB 1200 in disguise. Its got the same motors, blowers, burn pot, and BTU rating. But has a different way of exchanging heat (no tubes).

All units listed are sokid stoves. But of you were disappointed in the Heat from a Harman, then you need some BTU's. I have only replaced the Door gasket on my Quad in almsot 4 seasons of use. Doesn't have High/Low feature. Only On/Off on t-stat, but nothing wrong with that. Fires uo everytime. No issue with clinkers and burns like a tornado!!

Try a bigger Harman, the 61 or 68 has a lot more Btu's than the Accentra. Last time I looked, craigs list in Maine and NH had some for sale.

Update- p61a in worcester, Mass for 2100$

Status
Not open for further replies.