And the ASH fights back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
My dad had a huge ash tree dropped in his front yard due to the beetle. The pieces were big enough I could load them on a truck soooooo I was noodling them when WHAM. Found a piece of metal of some sort inside, fairely new blade and its junk. Now I have to split them and find out what it was!!!!!!!

Reactions: ScotO
Yep, it happens, took out a brand new bandsaw blade yesterday, 6 penny buried in some maple

that's the problem with trees near houses and farms. always assume there is metal down low on the trunk. i had some hard-a$$ shackle gouge a crater in a hydraulic spliting wedge.

Just one more reason to not noodle.

I found around 12 railroad spikes in an ash tree I downed a while back. Smoked three 28" chains at that jobsite. Thankfully the homeowner reimbursed me on them.......

found the culprit

Attachments

• nail 019.JPG
    nail 019.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 213
Looks to be a nail? I've been lucky enough to not have that happen......yet.

Found 4 large nails so far , I built a tree house in this same tree when I was a kid so can't blame anyone else but ME

Reactions: ScotO
Wasted chains are part of the game. I'm always watching for the black stuff when I'm cutting yard trees. Sometimes I get lucky and stop in time to save one.

Wasted chains are part of the game. I'm always watching for the black stuff when I'm cutting yard trees. Sometimes I get lucky and stop in time to save one.
What is the black stuff a sign of??

What is the black stuff a sign of??

A tree that has metal embedded in it will get black around the metal for sometimes a couple of inches. As soon as you see black/grey sawdust coming out, it's time to stop. Sometimes you'll get lucky.

Last year I was cutting up an ash and found an old hinge in the tree that a gate once swung on. Of course, I hadn't found it until after I put the brand new chain on. Guess that chain had maybe 3 minutes on it when it uncovered that steel. I'll use it for cutting tree stumps or something equally nasty.

I showed the land owner (my friend) the hinge and he vaguely remembers a gate there 50 some odd years ago and apologized for not thinking about it sooner. I certainly wasn't mad, it happens.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.