And the new venting is in...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
He installed it yesterday and we let it set for 24 hours before starting it today. We also taped seams to make sure there is no possibility of leakage. He used 4" commercial grade stainless Duravent. Two clean out tees and the better exhaust tip (supposed to shoot the smoke further) which extends about one foot past the cantilever. So far, so good. Wish it had been done this way in the first place. It is quite windy today so we'll have to see how it is when it calms down outside. Now we have to clean inside - apparently, the smoke smell was not just smell - we have some soot in certain areas.

Reactions: bogieb
He installed it yesterday and we let it set for 24 hours before starting it today. We also taped seams to make sure there is no possibility of leakage. He used 4" commercial grade stainless Duravent. Two clean out tees and the better exhaust tip (supposed to shoot the smoke further) which extends about one foot past the cantilever. So far, so good. Wish it had been done this way in the first place. It is quite windy today so we'll have to see how it is when it calms down outside. Now we have to clean inside - apparently, the smoke smell was not just smell - we have some soot in certain areas.
good to hear it's fixed...

I would want to run the stove on a typical windy day like to today just for added double check.

It is running and all seems well. I will be happy to put this saga behind me and just enjoy the stove next season.

It is running and all seems well. I will be happy to put this saga behind me and just enjoy the stove next season.
actually running ours today a bit as the winds outside philly here are nuts...bringing lot of chilly air..

Glad to hear all is well, Good luck.

PG,

Did your dealer end up doing the vent re-install or did he hire a different tech to do it?

I think I recall when your install *odyssey* issues began way back in the early fall that we were joking that it would be the end of the burning season before they would have your stove set up right. Little did we know the prophecy that would be in that ! :oops:

Your install saga certainly speaks to the old business / service adage, "if you don't have the time to do it right the first time, how are you going to find the time to do it right the second time". >>

But great to hear your Quad is finally up and running the way it should be. You learned more, I'm guessing, than you ever thought you would, and certainly endured more frustrations than you should have had to regarding pellet stove ownership. If Quad gave out an 'installation and purchase patience and tolerance' award to a customer, you would most certainly deserve it. !

Hopefully, for all your trials and tribulations, you will get years of reliable service out of your stove.

God speed, and happy end of the season burning !

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it!

Thank you all -I think our stove guy learned a lesson as well as the cost of all these changes (as well as a few extras) were all on him. Hoping we are set now - just in time to clean it out for the summer!

Wish I could do my end of season clean yet. Still burning 24/7

We're not cleaning it yet but we only have about 15-20 days of pellets left so at that point its off even if it's still cold. Just really windy today but the temp is not too bad. We are doing the burn in (is that what its called?) to get the new vent work set.

Glad everything worked out in the end. You can look forward to next heating season now. kap

last year I spent most of a day doing final cleaning, exhaust etc....
this time I'm in no hurry so gonna break it down into couple days..
do the exhaust channels and outside pipe as seperate cleaning day..

Glad to hear they did re-install with 4 inch pipe and extended it further. Hope all is behind you...

It's been almost a week with the new venting - need an updated report to see if it is doing the job for you :)

Reactions: Ambient
It's been almost a week with the new venting - need an updated report to see if it is doing the job for you :)
LOL they have spring flowers out now, she may well have turned it in for the summer.

Ohh, I got snow and 20 degrees - guess I expect all of NY to be at least close to the same :p

Ohh, I got snow and 20 degrees - guess I expect all of NY to be at least close to the same :p
we had just less than 2 inches yesterday morning and 65 degrees in the afternoon. Tonight we have high wind warnings, you know how it goes, April showers bring high wind warnings.;)

Reactions: bogieb
Thanks for asking! The stove has been on as the temps have mainly been in the 40's and its been rainy and cloudy, but its been on low. So far, so good. No smoke smell in the house (although the burn in smell is lingering since we can't put the stove on high its taking a bit longer). The stove seems to be more efficient, burning less pellets and staying cleaner.

The stove guy actually said because of me, he will no longer use 3" vent pipe - only 4" from now on. Guess he learned his lesson. He even told my husband he should have just listened to me in the first place. Nice to know I have an impact!

The stove guy actually said because of me, he will no longer use 3" vent pipe - only 4" from now on. Guess he learned his lesson. He even told my husband he should have just listened to me in the first place. Nice to know I have an impact!

I've had a few of those times when I should have listened to me in the first place (and I did word that the way I mean it). Unfortunately, I tend to question myself and listen to the "experts" too many times.

Glad it's working out for you and you were able to provide a teaching "moment" ;)

I am a bit surprised with such a short run of vent pipe, it required 4". What does your manual call for with that amount of EVL?

I am a bit surprised with such a short run of vent pipe, it required 4". What does your manual call for with that amount of EVL?

I believe their venting had to go from the install room through an interior utility room, then out.

PG can clarify that, but I believe that's what increased their EVL.

The pipe came out of the stove, then there was a 45 (we now have a cleanout t there), then about three feet horizontal, then a cleanout t (still have) then straight up about three feet, a 90 and about 1-2 feet straight outside. It was really pushing it and we found the smoke was coming in through the soffits and the cantilever (the termination was just at the edge of the cantilever) so they couldn't extend it anymore - had to go to 4". The original, according to our manual, was just at the allowable for 3" but adding the extra length to clear the soffit put it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.