And yet another Englander not putting out heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gordo9742000 said:
Took it to the extreme today. Since i had the day off I figured I would do an extreme clean. Moved the stove outside and with compressed air and some lengths of tubing blew out every crack and crevice of the stove. Also dismantled the exhaust and cleaned every part of it. Since it was outside i lit it off to see what kind of temps I could get out of. Output temps were lower but I think that is mainly because the outside temp was low. I moved the stove back inside and positioned it near a window where I could run the exhaust out with minimal piping. Still no difference.

Sounds like a great way to spend a day off. Wanna bring the stove back yet?

If we all knew earlier that this stove was installed in his unheated basement it would not have lasted so long. We would have come to a conclusion long ago.
Concrete:
When a material absorbs energy, it heats up. The more material there is in a structure, the more energy it has to absorb to heat up. Because a concrete floor is heavy and dense, it will have to absorb a lot of heat energy to heat up. If that floor is subjected to warm temperatures during the day, it may continue to absorb heat all day long, never quite catching up to the air temperature. This will make the concrete actually feel cool during the day.

Since the floor and walls are exposed directly to the ground the heat absorbed by the concrete gets quickly absorbed into the ground. It`s very difficult and very expensive to heat uninsulated concrete spaces.

Never said it was an unfinished basement. Walls are finished. Floor is concrete but is 70 degrees due to radiant heat.
Is 370 degree exhaust output normal? Because if it is I will just live with it.

normal pellet stove exhausts can reach up to 500F plus ambient temp. i should note that i can literally sit on top of my stove and have done so many times and still have it heating my house at the same time. exhaust temps can be fairly high depending on how hard you are running the unit and still produce usable heat. question is where is the heat going after it leaves the front of the stove

gordo9742000 said:
Never said it was an unfinished basement. Walls are finished. Floor is concrete but is 70 degrees due to radiant heat.
Is 370 degree exhaust output normal? Because if it is I will just live with it.

OK, basement is insulated . We can rule that out.
I have no way of measuring exhaust temp. Hopefully someone else has done this. All I know is I can hold my hand on my Harman exhaust pipe for at least 5 seconds 2 ft from the exit with the stove set on #3 ( Medium ) .
But that`s probably meaningless.

Scooby123 said:
Hey Guys,

I am reading these posts and I have a similar problem with my Brand New Englander 55-SHPEP. I converted this freestanding unit to an insert, and installed per the manufacturers specs. I used my previous wood stove 6" vent stack up the chimney and I added a 3" intake line. No matter what setting I have the stove on (1-5) my room does not get hotter than 66. I have a very good flame and does increase with each burn rate, and I am going through pellets fast. Not sure if there is a factory preset problem or if I bought a lemon.....

reduce your low burn air a couple digits, in a chimney draft tends to "suck the heat out" i had to drop my LBA on y PAH unit for that reason, caution though if you drop too far you may lose the clean flame , need to find the balance , try dropping it one digit at a time give it say an hour between drops and just gradually walk it in you should see heat output rise before you start to lose the fire

Status
Not open for further replies.