Andes Wood Pellets...Anyone use them befor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseRRies

Dec 21, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
So Ive been looking around for this years load of pellets like Im sure that most of you have been doing and Woodpellets.com now carries this new brand called Andes Wood Pellets. They are made in Chile and imported into the US. Im not sure how I feel about that since wood pellets are supposed to get us away from oil but were shipping them up from South America. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to burn them or even see them in person. The numbers that Woodpellets.com puts out for them are good but they are just numbers.

* Wood Pellet Type: Softwood
* Skid Size: 1.5 ton(s) (75 bags)
* *Ash: less than 0.34%
* *Moisture: less than 7.49%
* *Heating Value: 8386 BTU/lb

First of all, Welcome to the forum. Lot's of great people here with good info.

Must be regional availability. Does not show as available in NH from the website, nor have I heard / seen them mentioned on the forum. What's the pricing?

As far as getting from S America and not from the US, remember that some of the popular brands talked about here come from Canada......At least S America in the same continent, no that's not right. Same hemisphere; no wait Chili is southern hemi. Damn that's far down there.

Maybe just get em from here in the US or Canada?

JesseRRies said:
So Ive been looking around for this years load of pellets like Im sure that most of you have been doing and Woodpellets.com now carries this new brand called Andes Wood Pellets. They are made in Chile and imported into the US. Im not sure how I feel about that since wood pellets are supposed to get us away from oil but were shipping them up from South America. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to burn them or even see them in person. The numbers that Woodpellets.com puts out for them are good but they are just numbers.

* Wood Pellet Type: Softwood
* Skid Size: 1.5 ton(s) (75 bags)
* *Ash: less than 0.34%
* *Moisture: less than 7.49%
* *Heating Value: 8386 BTU/lb

Yes I have burned them(tested them for a friend). They were right up there with some of the better softwoods I have burned. The numbers listed are right at what I tested as far as ash content. They were a nice clean burning pellet with real good heat output too! I would gladdly burn them again if I could get them for the right price. But from what I gathered there pretty hard to get them here. There isn't a lot that gets imported to the US. Most of there export goes to Europe.

Just curious, what are they getting for them??

Attachments

• Andes bag sm.jpg
    Andes bag sm.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 451
They are a pretty decent price for my area. They come in 1.5 ton skids, and Id be getting 3 Tons total. With delivery it came to a total of $833.70. Im trying to decide between these pellets and the Clean Fire Hardwood which would be $724.14 for 2.6Tons (They come in 1.3 Ton skids....so dumb) Im pretty limited in my area for pellets. I can get the HD junk or I can get re-branded Hamer Hot Ones from Southern States and TSC. I liked the Somerset pellets that I got from TSC but I cant find them anywhere to preorder. Any suggestions on good pellets or a good place to get them?

JesseRRies said:
......or I can get re-branded Hamer Hot Ones from Southern States and TSC......

If the price is comparable, these are what I'd be getting. Hamer makes a really good pellet.

JesseRRies said:
They are a pretty decent price for my area. They come in 1.5 ton skids, and Id be getting 3 Tons total. With delivery it came to a total of $833.70. Im trying to decide between these pellets and the Clean Fire Hardwood which would be $724.14 for 2.6Tons (They come in 1.3 Ton skids....so dumb) Im pretty limited in my area for pellets. I can get the HD junk or I can get re-branded Hamer Hot Ones from Southern States and TSC. I liked the Somerset pellets that I got from TSC but I cant find them anywhere to preorder. Any suggestions on good pellets or a good place to get them?

Actually the 65 bag skids aren't all that dumb, the poor chap from woodpellets.com that placed the 75 bag LG skids into my garage last fall didn't really have any extra room at all even though the lift truck he had was a really fancy one that could go left and right, up and down, and in and out. He was debating handling it a bag at a time.

It all depends upon each situation.

I also didn't see those pellets up this way and if I was ordering the Cleanfires, I'd opt for the softwood ones.

I might just go with the TSC pellets. Theres one right down the street and that way I wont have to pay a delivery charge. I liked the few bags of cleanfires that I burned last year but all we can get is the hardwoods here and they are rare to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.