Animal Bedding Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoma

Feeling the Heat
Jul 23, 2008
Upper Valley NH
So what happens if I dump wood pellets made for animal bedding in my Harmon???

I burned some a few years back during a shortage. Burned just fine. They didn't seem to be as dense and had a little more ash. They also had a lot more fines in the bags. If you can ge them cheap enough the Harman should handle just fine. Might be more expensive?

you'd be surprised what these stoves will burn. I burned a 40lb bag of dog food my dog refused to eat. made the inside a little greasy but it burnt off when i went back to pellets

animal bedding is 2x the price of pellets in my area

why don't the animal lovers just buy fuel pellets then?

If you read the hardwood bedding brands it states no black walnut. Black Walnut isn't good for horses. If the hardwood pellet fuel contains black walnut??? That might be bad. Softwoods should be fine. I remember seeing some LG's that got wet and were being sold as beding pellets somewhere. But I would be real careful with the hardwood fuel pellets.

A stable that my daughter takes riding lessons at used to use softwwod pellets for bedding. They were putting in 1 and sometimes 2 bags per stall per day of which they have 30 stalls. They were paying $350/ton for "horse bedding" were I was getting Rocky Mountains for only $215/ton. They have since switched to sawdust as a cost reducer and like it much better.

we sell both....animal bedding IS more money than pellets, and ive burned them in the stove, and they burned ok......FWIW, the horse folks prefer softwood pellets to hardwood pellets....they tell me something with the hardwood pellets and horses dont get along well......

Lousyweather said:
we sell both....animal bedding IS more money than pellets, and ive burned them in the stove, and they burned ok......FWIW, the horse folks prefer softwood pellets to hardwood pellets....they tell me something with the hardwood pellets and horses dont get along well......

The chemicals in some hardwoods are poisonous to some animals.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b762/b762_25.html

Never tried the animal pellets in my stoves but they are way more expensive than
stove pellets anyway. The local animal shelter uses them for the kitty boxes.

I do NOT dare use those pellets for my kitties because I don't want them to think the
stove pellets were stacked for their personal use :p

tinkabranc said:
Never tried the animal pellets in my stoves but they are way more expensive than
stove pellets anyway. The local animal shelter uses them for the kitty boxes.

I do NOT dare use those pellets for my kitties because I don't want them to think the
stove pellets were stacked for their personal use :p

LOL hehe ;-)

No way I would let the kittys get near a pellet either. To me even a bad pellet is to good for that. :)

mascoma said:
why don't the animal lovers just buy fuel pellets then?

Dunno but my sister works with horses and two years ago she had one
nearly die from an intestinal blockage caused by the bedding pellets.
That stable stopped using them in the horse stalls. I'm sure lots of
places use them, but the Vet tending to that horse said she strongly
recommended against it. The horses don't intentionally eat them but
sometimes ingest some and the blockage can kill them. Not worth
the risk imo when there are plenty of other options out there.
A little OT I know but I wouldn't be the first to go OT in a thread on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.