Animal feed pellet, can i used this as fuel ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selectaboy

Jun 29, 2015
Canada
A friend of mine works for an animal feed manufacturer and he told me that he uses some of the spilled pelletized feed to fuel his pellet stove, and he told me that he'sstove is not a multi fuel. Is it ok to use pelletize feed as a fuel substitute?​

Most feed pellets are comprised of grain.
Most grains burn fairly well in pellet stoves if mixed with wood pellets.
Some feed pellets are mixed with minerals, Salt and medications so you aren't really sure what you are burning but I don't believe it would make the exhaust toxic although don't really know on that one.

Reactions: Selectaboy
I burned pellets made of wheat screenings.(made as a high protein food for pheasants) Very high ash. Mostly weed seeds. Most feed pellets are high in corn and some soybeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.