Annual appeal- don't buy a rabbit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not know that about the cancer thing...80% you say?? Wow-explains just why that are so good at math (multiplication) maybe?
Sure wouldn't like anyone to keep a dog in a cage all day either...but that's exactly where a lot of pets start out at...some breeders animal quarters, you know? Come to think of it, that's exactly how the dogs and cats are kept at the animal shelters!!! You know, those places that say don't do as we do, do as we say?? Must be why the phrase rescue dog was coined. Can you just imagine someone adopting a dog and keeping it the same way it had been kept at the shelter? Maybe on walk a day, food/water concrete floor cleaned with a hose...close quarters with others..must be a lot of stress.

@yooperdave -I'm not trying to put anyone on a guilt trip, just to hopefully educate some one. I have no doubt that you were as responsible as you could be, and had great intentions. However, I think we can all think of things that we have done that maybe we know more about now.

Did not know that about the cancer thing...80% you say?? Wow-explains just why that are so good at math (multiplication) maybe?
Sure wouldn't like anyone to keep a dog in a cage all day either...but that's exactly where a lot of pets start out at...some breeders animal quarters, you know? Come to think of it, that's exactly how the dogs and cats are kept at the animal shelters!!! You know, those places that say don't do as we do, do as we say?? Must be why the phrase rescue dog was coined. Can you just imagine someone adopting a dog and keeping it the same way it had been kept at the shelter? Maybe on walk a day, food/water concrete floor cleaned with a hose...close quarters with others..must be a lot of stress.
I'm sure it is a a lot of stress, and they do the best they can to keep them there as short a time as possible. Their goal is to have those dogs living in someone's living room, not a cage. I feel the same way about house rabbits.

Yeah some people sure are neglectful.
It seems that there were different levels of responsibility taught to us as we were raised. In some cases, that course was never offered. Happy Easter!

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Don't buy the kids easter chicks either, unless you are going to raise them right.
easter chick.jpg

Reactions: yooperdave
Somehow my parents adopted a rabbit when I was around 13 or so, I think it was a friend who could no longer care for it so they asked if my parents could take is since we lived on a small farm (because, apparently you've got all the room in the world for more pets when you live on a farm). It was a long haired (hared?) angora rabbit, and it was as friendly as a cat. It had a cage it slept in, but it spent evenings in the living room and nice days out in the yard. Our dogs and cats always got along fine, and the rabbit fit right in with them for the few years we had it before it passed. It was okay, but kind of a boring pet IMO. We had a cat that this rabbit LOVED though. Both the rabbit and cat were males and fixed, but that rabbit would mount that cat every chance he got and go to town!! Poor cat didn't know what to think, and normally just laid his ears back and sat really still until the rabbit finished!

Sad looking little fella. Hope it finds a good home.

If you look closely in the background, you'll see a splitter on the floor behind the cage! Arrgh! This person is a wood burner!

Someone who could responsibly maintain a fire could just as likely responsibly keep a bunny.
Also responsibly sell the cage and bunny, know when to, blah, blah, blah. . .

I knew a family with a pet rabbit,had the run of the house ,was quite house trained and a joy for the family AND the rabbit his whole life. Unfortunately im sure this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to rabbits as pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.