Annual Chainsaw Tuneup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgeiger

Nov 22, 2008
Northwestern VA
So I'm doing my annual service on my chainsaws in preparation for the cutting season (well, mine). I've done a lot more than last year thanks to the helpful comments hear on Hearth as well as arboristsite. But I'm sure I could do more - here's a quick run through of what I've done and a couple questions:

1. Removed chainguard and thoroughly cleaned everything I could find (yes, I should have done that at the end of last season)
2. Removed sprocket and cleaned clutch assembly without removing (not sure how - advice appreciated)
3. Removed cover, washed and dried air filter - would love to buy one but I'm not sure where to buy/find for a Poulon
4. Removed exhaust port and cleaned what I could find

Took it out and ran it and it was amazing the improvement! Before, it wouldn't start after being run (i.e. out of gas, reload, no start). She ran like a champ! :cheese: Idle's still a bit rough but reving up was much smoother and didn't stall out.

I would like to inspect the cylinders for any scoring but I'm not sure how to remove that part of the assembly. Would have removed the spark plug and checked for fouling/gap but don't have the right socket. Also, I've noticed the handle has gotten a bit "wobbly" when cutting, as though it has more give. I tightened the bolts but not sure if I tightened the right stuff.

What else should I be doing?

p.s. This is my dad's saw that I have on permanent loan (Poulon Pro 42cc with an 18" bar). The old Homelite from my brother in law is next. Will be adding a Dolmar 7900 to my arsenal very soon.

Good planning!

I would drain and fully clean the fuel tank. Also a new (or clean) fuel filter.

A new spark plug is cheap insurance.

Nice winter work.

Try a small engine repair shop for an air filter, or Sears- craftsman saws are rebranded Poulans.

Everything you've done sounds reasonable... I wouldn't try to pull the cylinder, but you can see quite a bit by taking off the muffler and looking in the exhaust port while slowly pulling the engine over - you can see the combustion chamber when the piston is down, and the side of the piston that usually gets the most wear when it's up - if those look good, there is no real reason to pull things down further.

You should be able to get an air filter online.

You should also be able to get manuals and parts diagrams on line, which will give you a better idea on what needs to be tightened up to secure the handles. (I would NOT run the saw with loose handles as you don't want them falling off when the saw is in use....) I'd suggest using thread locking compound on any bolts you touch, Pull-ons live second lives as paint shakers, and have a habit of shedding parts given any opportunity.

Gooserider

Thanks for the tips, Goose. I had some more trouble with the Pull-on yesterday so I'll break that part down and double check. I'll also go looking for new air filters - washing was just a temporary stop gap so I could do some cutting yesterday. As much as I hate doing it, I need wood to finish the season and am cutting then test burning to make sure the deadfall I want to burn is dry enough to have a go. If not, it goes in next year's pile and we shiver. :eek:hh:

Ohh speaking of engine trouble and not starting a new thread....any ideas what could cause her to stall out on idle after a few minutes of cutting and then not start until an hour later?

Sounds to me like something is heating up and cooling down but what exactly I'm not sure of. After I got her back up and ran her a bit she seemed to do fine and I cut through a tank of gas - but not before I hit some buck shot in the tree I was cutting ;) Thankfully it only dinged up two teeth.

[I'll split off into a new thread if more appropriate]

I'm not a saw tech, but possibly you have some issues with stuff in the fuel tank vent? Otherwise I'd say look at the usual four suspects whenever you get a "won't start" - fuel, air, spark and compression - if you lose any of those you are in trouble... The other possibility is that you flooded it on a restart attempt...

Idle setting can be tricky, the difference between getting the engine slow enough to stop the chain from moving, but fast enough to stay running can be a small one, especially when the saw is warming up.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I'm not a saw tech, but possibly you have some issues with stuff in the fuel tank vent?
Gooserider
That would be my first guess as well. Try cracking the cap open every couple of minutes and see if the problem goes away. Otherwise, your low speed jet might not be set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.