Annual pellet stove maintenance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNH

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
Surry NH
Anyone have a regular process they go thru?
I would like to pull the vent pipe and reseal it. Makes sense to do.
Im just not sure I will be able to get the same seal on the old pipe.
Perhaps replace the pipe?
Im going to give the inside of the stove a serious cleaning and check all the mechanical parts.

Im also going to store the 5 tons of pellets I got outside this year. While it was nice to have them in the garage last year I think it was a waste of space. The folks who delivered the pellets this morning used a bobcat to put them in the yard and tore it up pretty good...oh well.

Cold weather is on the way!

definately pull , or thoroughly brush the pipe , also , disconnect from the exhaust blower coupling and clean out the blower BE CAREFUL the blades will likely be a bit more fragile than when they were new due to heat exposure , you do not want to break off a blade as it will unbalance the motor. remove any and all parts from the burn chamber , heat exchanger area , and such , through the exhaust , and clean them, check all gaskets and replace if suspect , this is an area that gets neglected and usually causes degradation of performance. i usually pull and clean my room air blower annually ,as i have indoor pets and pet hair/dust bunnies get caught up in the fan and reduces the airflow. if you want to get really serious, you could pull the unit outside ,and blow it out with a compressor if you chooose to , turn on the unit unfuelled to get the exhaust blower running , then blow air through the "intake side of the firebox ,(where the smoke leaves the front chamber of the stove) this should get stuff out of places you cannot reach with a vacuum or scraper. i wouldnt worry about blowing it out unless you find a crapload of stuff in the exhaust area.

hope this helps , feel free to pm me if you want or just post question in here

mike ESW

Status
Not open for further replies.