Another 17.2 Million BTU's brought in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Just finished unloading a ton of Vermont's into my Basement

Using their BTU #s per pound (8608 BTU/Lb)
http://www.vermontwoodpellet.com/index.php/wood-pellet-primer

I just brought in 17216000 Btu's in. That ought to keep me warm into next fall. :)

On hand I now have
58 Bags Vermont Wood Pellets
11 Bags Okanagan's
17 Bags Appalachian (Premier) Hardwood

Hope that groundhog was wrong. I am ready for more winter!

Time for a cold drink and some woodturning until bedtime.
---Nailer----

Attachments

• Vermonts Feb2011 001.jpg
    Vermonts Feb2011 001.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Vermonts Feb2011 002.jpg
    Vermonts Feb2011 002.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Vermonts Feb2011 003.jpg
    Vermonts Feb2011 003.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 466
Rub it in now ;-) .

I won't do any more stocking until April at the earliest and perhaps not until the third week of June. I need my garage for brooding a few new chickens.

pellet pig in the making.

doing wood turning, have you ever considered buying a small pellet die? gotta use those shavings!

Summit,

I'd love to convert my shavings into pellets. Problem is that I have no drying facility (or space) and no way to compress the fiber.

It is not worth the $$$ to purchase the hardware I would need. So I dump the shavings into the kids playground. It creates a soft spongy mat-like material that breaks down with time. I replenish it weekly.

Jay,

I buy my Vermont's from J&S in Berkley. June has them priced right now at $250/ton (Okies are $265)
I really like them. Burn hot and clean in my stove.

---Nailer---

Get rid of the clothes drier, taking up pellet room.

Czech,

I just re-built the guts of the dryer. All new bearings (glide plates), belt, internal plastic shroudings, etc. I cleaned it out top to bottom.

I cost me about $150 in parts. Saved about $300 from buying a new one. Of course the washer didn't fair so well. That ended up costing me $600 new :-(

I guess now I could consider it my back-up/back-up/back-up heat and humidity source. :)

I have room for 4 tons in the basement before I have to creative with storage.

But with basement water issues I don't like to have too many eggs in a basket.
My basement spent most of last year flooded. I have 4 sump pumps all in below grade sump wells. Problem is that I live just off of a fresh water beach. The basement floor is about 3' below last years high water mark. Last year we had an unusually high water level in the lake. I've been here since '97 and only had a damp floor 1 other spring. Last year all bets were off. Hopefully we wont have a repeat.

Wonder how many tons I can fit into the shed and still get the mower in there.........?

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Czech,

I just re-built the guts of the dryer. All new bearings (glide plates), belt, internal plastic shroudings, etc. I cleaned it out top to bottom.

I cost me about $150 in parts. Saved about $300 from buying a new one. Of course the washer didn't fair so well. That ended up costing me $600 new :-(

I guess now I could consider it my back-up/back-up/back-up heat and humidity source. :)

My basement spent most of last year flooded. I have 4 sump pumps all in below grade sump wells. Problem is that I live just off of a fresh water beach. The basement floor is about 3' below last years high water mark. Last year we had an unusually high water level in the lake. I've been here since '97 and only had a damp floor 1 other spring. Last year all bets were off. Hopefully we wont have a repeat.

Wonder how many tons I can fit into the shed and still get the mower in there.........?

---Nailer---

You can always bring your pellets over to my house, I will burn em for ya :lol:

tinkabranc said:
nailed_nailer said:
Czech,

---Nailer---

You can always bring your pellets over to my house, I will burn em for ya :lol:
Ahh, A true pellet pig suggestion there tink! :)

Hey, Nailer, I might be a little far, But I got room for an extra ton for ya. Coarse, there is that 1 bag a day storage fee. :) hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.