Another 40 degree + Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I shouldn't complain, but I can't enjoy a fire here all day. Its so warm out, that it's 78 in the office, and I have to let this thing die out until evening. I don't like cold weather per se, but this 40 degree stuff is ridiculous if you like to burn 24/7. I would like to light a fire in the fall and not put it out till April ideally.

I agree with ya man. I'm planning on using this warm weather to clean up the stove a bit and then get her going tonight.

I know, right? Same thing here in Whitefish Bay. Feels like October all over again, except that October was like September. Weatherwise, it is still October here.

27° here, 3" of fresh snow on top of ice,, was fun plowing.
Forecast single digit night temps & more snow. house 72°
stove cranking on medium.

firecracker_77 said:
I know I shouldn't complain, but I can't enjoy a fire here all day. Its so warm out, that it's 78 in the office, and I have to let this thing die out until evening. I don't like cold weather per se, but this 40 degree stuff is ridiculous if you like to burn 24/7. I would like to light a fire in the fall and not put it out till April ideally.

It really does not bother me at all to not burn 24/7 even though our wood stove is our only source of heat. I will say though that I've never seen a year when I've had to start so many fires in a cold stove.

We had 2 nights in the teens so far, but now it's warm again. Talking 56 tomorrow. Almost short sleeve weather. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have alot of left over wood to carry over into next year :)

" I will say though that I’ve never seen a year when I’ve had to start so many fires in a cold stove. "

+1 Dennis, same thoughts here. Observing general lack of wind too.

Not complaining though.

I've only been burning since sunday at around 6 am (first stove I ever owned) and the weather has been mild. Wife emails me today and says she got the house up to 78f today...Thats cuz it's 50 outside.....already she is spoiled and wasting wood.

Can you say - Global Warming................

Look at it this way...at least we are saving on wood with the warm temps and I have perfected my fire starting technique....
of course the Super Cedars have helped ;-)

I am getting farther and farther ahead on my wood supply, just because I am still figuring out how much I burn annually and my estimate keeps dropping with each passing week that I burn only half of what I'd expect. I don't think I have burned half a cord yet, and half of that was kindling and supercedars!

GAMMA RAY said:
Look at it this way...at least we are saving on wood with the warm temps and I have perfected my fire starting technique....

+1 Saving fuel of any kind is always good.

egclassic said:
GAMMA RAY said:

+1 Saving fuel of any kind is always good.

I know, I barely made a dent in the wood stack...

Think of all the carbon dioxide we're not producing, I include burning wood. Can you say "global warming"?

My heat pump works great and on low speed in this nice weather and I can still look at the ashes in my Quadrafire : ) if I want to remember the last fire (two days or more ago).

Jerry_NJ said:
Think of all the carbon dioxide we're not producing, I include burning wood. Can you say "global warming"?

My heat pump works great and on low speed in this nice weather and I can still look at the ashes in my Quadrafire : ) if I want to remember the last fire (two days or more ago).

Every day you let the wood sit, it decays and polutes the air even more than burning it with the EPA stoves... Come on burn this wood..........

I am not sure I "buy" your story that a Cat Stove is cleaner than air oxidation - but the cat stove will burn a cord about a million times faster that will the atmosphere (just a guess on the million). The wood decaying in the woods produces CO2 at a rate the trees can absorb it unless we cut all the trees down to burn them.

I do burn wood a mere couple of cords a year, but I don't try to fool myself that its greener than my geothermal heat pump that gets about 50% of its power for a nuclear plant.

Jerry_NJ said:
I am not sure I "buy" your story that a Cat Stove is cleaner than air oxidation - but the cat stove will burn a cord about a million times faster that will the atmosphere (just a guess on the million). The wood decaying in the woods produces CO2 at a rate the trees can absorb it unless we cut all the trees down to burn them.

I do burn wood a mere couple of cords a year, but I don't try to fool myself that its greener than my geothermal heat pump that gets about 50% of its power for a nuclear plant.

I read this somewhere, I think it is true, but you might have a good point on the time it takes to produce the CO2, not sure if it has to do with overall CO2 output though vs time.

Jerry_NJ said:

There is nothing you can do with wood to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide it releases. A given amount of wood will decompose a fixed amount of CO2 - either slowly as it rots, or quickly as it burns. Meanwhile, the growing trees consume as much CO2 as they will ultimately release.

My heat pump works great too. And it is cheap to run. And I hate it. It never feels warm in the house when it is running.

Headline: "Weather Outlook - Cold Ahead!" http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/january-march-winter-outlook_2011-12-19 Can you say "global cooling"?

Hanko said:
BKInsert said:
Can you say - Global Warming................

Ok Al

Yeah...I'm not sure Al Gore is someone to take advice from. He was the guy that claimed on Larry King Live back is '92 that outsourcing jobs was good for America. Ol' Perot knew better

Tonight we have rain too. I like to get out there in the evenings and take wood that was quartered and use my axe to split it to much smaller pieces and then stack them by the front door. Good exercise and a stress reliever. Can't tonight. Yard gets chewed up when it's too wet and I'm splitting. Easier on the lawn and less messy when it's dry...preferably frozen.

If you want a look at this year take a look back at 2006. This is exactly how winter started off then and I bet it mimics it the rest of the way through. It was a really mild winter. I was real happy about it because my stove busted on the first burn the last week of September testing the new liner and I had to get another one in fast. It stayed warm through late December for me. And I roasted us out of the house the rest of the winter trying to get a handle on the 30 in a mild winter.

BrotherBart said:
If you want a look at this year take a look back at 2006. This is exactly how winter started off then and I bet it mimics it the rest of the way through. It was a really mild winter. I was real happy about it because my stove busted on the first burn the last week of September testing the new liner and I had to get another one in fast. It stayed warm through late December for me. And I roasted us out of the house the rest of the winter trying to get a handle on the 30 in a mild winter.

Those Englander stoves are very popular on Hearth.com. Must have a big firebox!

firecracker_77 said:
Those Englander stoves are very popular on Hearth.com. Must have a big firebox!

Kinda.

Attachments

• firebox.jpg
    firebox.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 189
first day of winter... and 55 here in buffalo.
the skies just opened up about an hour ago though... I've got my stove roasting right now, so I heard it start to rain and my first thought was IS THAT MY STOVE?!?!?!
Then I open the outside door and see it's raining cats dogs cows and deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.