1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another 40 degree + Day

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by firecracker_77, Dec 20, 2011.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    I know I shouldn't complain, but I can't enjoy a fire here all day. Its so warm out, that it's 78 in the office, and I have to let this thing die out until evening. I don't like cold weather per se, but this 40 degree stuff is ridiculous if you like to burn 24/7. I would like to light a fire in the fall and not put it out till April ideally.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I agree with ya man. I'm planning on using this warm weather to clean up the stove a bit and then get her going tonight.
  3. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    I know, right? Same thing here in Whitefish Bay. Feels like October all over again, except that October was like September. Weatherwise, it is still October here.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    27° here, 3" of fresh snow on top of ice,, was fun plowing.
    Forecast single digit night temps & more snow. house 72°
    stove cranking on medium.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It really does not bother me at all to not burn 24/7 even though our wood stove is our only source of heat. I will say though that I've never seen a year when I've had to start so many fires in a cold stove.
  6. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    We had 2 nights in the teens so far, but now it's warm again. Talking 56 tomorrow. Almost short sleeve weather. If this keeps up, I'm gonna have alot of left over wood to carry over into next year :)
  7. maxed_out

maxed_out New Member

Loc:
    Central Pa
    " I will say though that I’ve never seen a year when I’ve had to start so many fires in a cold stove. "

+1 Dennis, same thoughts here. Observing general lack of wind too.

Not complaining though.
  8. Ramcononer

Ramcononer New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I've only been burning since sunday at around 6 am (first stove I ever owned) and the weather has been mild. Wife emails me today and says she got the house up to 78f today...Thats cuz it's 50 outside.....already she is spoiled and wasting wood.
  9. BKInsert

BKInsert Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Can you say - Global Warming................
  10. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    Look at it this way...at least we are saving on wood with the warm temps and I have perfected my fire starting technique....
    of course the Super Cedars have helped ;-)
  11. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I am getting farther and farther ahead on my wood supply, just because I am still figuring out how much I burn annually and my estimate keeps dropping with each passing week that I burn only half of what I'd expect. I don't think I have burned half a cord yet, and half of that was kindling and supercedars!
  12. egclassic

egclassic Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    +1 Saving fuel of any kind is always good.
  13. BKInsert

BKInsert Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I know, I barely made a dent in the wood stack...
  14. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Think of all the carbon dioxide we're not producing, I include burning wood. Can you say "global warming"?

My heat pump works great and on low speed in this nice weather and I can still look at the ashes in my Quadrafire : ) if I want to remember the last fire (two days or more ago).
  15. BKInsert

BKInsert Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Every day you let the wood sit, it decays and polutes the air even more than burning it with the EPA stoves... Come on burn this wood..........
  16. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    I am not sure I "buy" your story that a Cat Stove is cleaner than air oxidation - but the cat stove will burn a cord about a million times faster that will the atmosphere (just a guess on the million). The wood decaying in the woods produces CO2 at a rate the trees can absorb it unless we cut all the trees down to burn them.

I do burn wood a mere couple of cords a year, but I don't try to fool myself that its greener than my geothermal heat pump that gets about 50% of its power for a nuclear plant.
  17. BKInsert

BKInsert Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I read this somewhere, I think it is true, but you might have a good point on the time it takes to produce the CO2, not sure if it has to do with overall CO2 output though vs time.
  18. jotul8e2

jotul8e2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ozarks
    There is nothing you can do with wood to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide it releases. A given amount of wood will decompose a fixed amount of CO2 - either slowly as it rots, or quickly as it burns. Meanwhile, the growing trees consume as much CO2 as they will ultimately release.

My heat pump works great too. And it is cheap to run. And I hate it. It never feels warm in the house when it is running.

Headline: "Weather Outlook - Cold Ahead!" http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/january-march-winter-outlook_2011-12-19 Can you say "global cooling"?
  19. Hanko

Hanko Minister of Fire

Loc:
    livingstion co, Michigan
    Ok Al
  20. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Yeah...I'm not sure Al Gore is someone to take advice from. He was the guy that claimed on Larry King Live back is '92 that outsourcing jobs was good for America. Ol' Perot knew better
  21. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Tonight we have rain too. I like to get out there in the evenings and take wood that was quartered and use my axe to split it to much smaller pieces and then stack them by the front door. Good exercise and a stress reliever. Can't tonight. Yard gets chewed up when it's too wet and I'm splitting. Easier on the lawn and less messy when it's dry...preferably frozen.
  22. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If you want a look at this year take a look back at 2006. This is exactly how winter started off then and I bet it mimics it the rest of the way through. It was a really mild winter. I was real happy about it because my stove busted on the first burn the last week of September testing the new liner and I had to get another one in fast. It stayed warm through late December for me. And I roasted us out of the house the rest of the winter trying to get a handle on the 30 in a mild winter.
  23. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Those Englander stoves are very popular on Hearth.com. Must have a big firebox!
  24. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Kinda.

Attached Files:

25. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    first day of winter... and 55 here in buffalo.
    the skies just opened up about an hour ago though... I've got my stove roasting right now, so I heard it start to rain and my first thought was IS THAT MY STOVE?!?!?!
    Then I open the outside door and see it's raining cats dogs cows and deer.