another ash tray question on Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dyerkutn

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2011
Boston NW suburbs
Is it OK to run the stove without the ash tray. I would just as soon remove it and just remove the ashes with a shovel when necessary and use the extra space under the stove for some stove suppliesl As far as I can tell there is no grate feeding directly into the tray and the only way to move the ashes down is to pull a very sticky lever which opens a small sliding piece of metal which right now is covered with a small firebrick--kind of a pain

I'm not sure if you can remove the ash tray to make more space under the stove - I think it might also be a bottom heat shield? My super27 is the same firebox, didn't come with an ashtray, but it still comes with a metal bottom, I assumed this was a part of the heat shielding because I don't know what else it might be for (surely not for looks?)

AFAIK there's no problem just letting the ash tray fill up and then not using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.