Another black birch?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Birch?

• Cherry

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Birch

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
just had a post about the confusion between some cherries and black birches here in PA and some of the guys and myself on here came to the conclusion I had some black birch on hand. Took a picture of a similar tree on my property and wondering what the verdict is according to you guys. Thanks a ton as usual!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 212
This time of year you should see catkins on the tips of the branches if its a birch. They are pretty obvious, almost caterpillar like flowers. They don't look anything like a cherry blossom.

The exposed wood has the same dark color as the bb that i cut up recently.

Easy to tell if it is any kind of Birch....Peel the bark and if it lights on fire easy...Its Birch. All Birch bark has natural oils that make it great to start in the rain...:)

scratch-n-sniff
birch = wintergreen
cherry = bitter almond aroma (amygdalin, and cyanogenic glycosides)

I think it is cherry. It is sometimes hard to tell on the internet. In person it is less difficult if you go by smell.

I think it is edible cherry, not Black Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.