Another chainsaw recommendation thread firewood/slabs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree this is a valid point and another way to look at things. Folks who run saws a lot either for work or for their personal land management , and are used to bigger saws , take them for granted.

I still make a part time living with a saw on the side, but it's not my main job, but still for me speed and efficiency counts. Time is money. On the one hand running a bigger saw than one needs is faster , and can actually be less fatiguing . For example if you can buck big oak in half the time running a 70cc saw , although the saw is heavier than a 50cc, your using it for less time cause it cuts quicker than the smaller saw. So you may be less tired. But if your inexperienced that bigger saw will get " heavy real quick " and you would probably enjoy running the smaller 50cc saw more and get more done with it.

But what DUMF is saying I think is to get skilled enough to use the small saw before getting the bigger saw. And lots of people who's job involved running a saw would agree with this. So true with skill one can do a lot with a smaller saw and 16 inch bar. In fact you can fell and buck trees in the 30 inch range with a 16 inch bar no problem. But for an experienced user they will produce more with a bigger saw and bar on those same 30 inch diameter trees. Cutting trees, logging and forestry work with a saw is a skill only learned with time spent running saws.

I'm glad you mentioned PPE. That's more important than anything in my opinion.

I used the 240 mainly for clearing brush/branches.. however a few years ago I bucked something like 8-10 maples ...between 8"-20" in diameter that we had cut down on my father's property.... Didn't have a wood stove back then, and the wood was given away. I did it all with the 240. With a freshly sharpened chain it was bearable but SLOWWWWW. At this point in my life I rather pony up for the better gear and spend the extra time with my kids.

I found a little used 372xp with a 20" and 32" bar and some chains on craigslist for a reasonable price... It's now sitting in my trunk :)

edit:... someone else dropped the maples... not me. I just dealt with them once they were on the ground

Last edited:
I agree this is a valid point and another way to look at things. Folks who run saws a lot either for work or for their personal land management , and are used to bigger saws , take them for granted.

I still make a part time living with a saw on the side, but it's not my main job, but still for me speed and efficiency counts. Time is money. On the one hand running a bigger saw than one needs is faster , and can actually be less fatiguing . For example if you can buck big oak in half the time running a 70cc saw , although the saw is heavier than a 50cc, your using it for less time cause it cuts quicker than the smaller saw. So you may be less tired. But if your inexperienced that bigger saw will get " heavy real quick " and you would probably enjoy running the smaller 50cc saw more and get more done with it.

But what DUMF is saying I think is to get skilled enough to use the small saw before getting the bigger saw. And lots of people who's job involved running a saw would agree with this. So true with skill one can do a lot with a smaller saw and 16 inch bar. In fact you can fell and buck trees in the 30 inch range with a 16 inch bar no problem. But for an experienced user they will produce more with a bigger saw and bar on those same 30 inch diameter trees. Cutting trees, logging and forestry work with a saw is a skill only learned with time spent running saws.

I'm glad you mentioned PPE. That's more important than anything in my opinion.

I used the 240 mainly for clearing brush/branches.. however a few years ago I bucked something like 8-10 maples ...between 8"-20" in diameter that we had cut down on my father's property.... Didn't have a wood stove back then, and the wood was given away. I did it all with the 240. With a freshly sharpened chain it was bearable but SLOWWWWW. At this point in my life I rather pony up for the better gear and spend the extra time with my kids.

I found a little used 372xp with a 20" and 32" bar and some chains on craigslist for a reasonable price... It's now sitting in my trunk :)
So, going from a BB gun to a BAR or howitzer? _gThose saws you want not need, are all big boys for pros with experience. No offense, but what PPE do you have ? Ever felled and cut with a full size saw, and long bars ? Its another world from that 240.
Most non-pro chainsawing can be done with much lighter, smaller saws, with 16-18" bars. A 16" bar with a strong 50cc driver will,with skill ,do wood in the 36" range. It's firewood.

No offense taken. I thought I mentioned in the original post that I'm not felling anything... The logs are laying there on the ground... as for ppe.

plenty of ear protection from my wood working hobby and trips to the firing range...
plenty of eye protection.. full face shield, safety glasses out the wazoo
pair of husky chaps
gloves, etc.

Reactions: DUMF
Any jump in chain pitch with a saw that competently can pull it is a worthwhile jump in my book. You would have noticed a big difference in going from your 3/8LP pitch 38cc saw to a .325 pitch 50cc saw. An even greater jump would have been to a regular 3/8 pitch 60cc saw, but you acquired a great 70cc saw that will blow covers off of any 60cc saw. Congratulations, black_sab, and enjoy your new wood eater!

Reactions: black_sab
Nice saw. I've got a lot of hours on that and the Jonsered version of that saw. I cheated last time and bought the 2166 since I can grind the transfer to make it a 2172/372 for nothing and it's $100 less new. So I feel from personal experience the 32 inch bar in dense hardwood will be slow going unless your running a skip chain on it. The 20 inch will be more than perfect. Mine pulls a 24 inch just as well as the 20. I noticed a difference jumping to a 28. If you plan on using the 32 inch bar a lot I'd run skip chain on it. Enjoy the saw.

edit:... someone else dropped the maples... not me. I just dealt with them once they were on the ground

It's a great saw, enjoy it!

Nice saw. I've got a lot of hours on that and the Jonsered version of that saw. I cheated last time and bought the 2166 since I can grind the transfer to make it a 2172/372 for nothing and it's $100 less new. So I feel from personal experience the 32 inch bar in dense hardwood will be slow going unless your running a skip chain on it. The 20 inch will be more than perfect. Mine pulls a 24 inch just as well as the 20. I noticed a difference jumping to a 28. If you plan on using the 32 inch bar a lot I'd run skip chain on it. Enjoy the saw.

I might try the 32" out once I am comfortable with the saw. It's a huge step up in power so I'm going to be a little gun shy for a while.

The 32" bar looks like it hasn't even been used... no nicks, nor any smearing/wearing of the logo.

Both the 20 and 32 are 58 thou. grabbed a couple more chains for the 20" today on my way home.

I might try the 32" out once I am comfortable with the saw. It's a huge step up in power so I'm going to be a little gun shy for a while.

The 32" bar looks like it hasn't even been used... no nicks, nor any smearing/wearing of the logo.

Both the 20 and 32 are 58 thou. grabbed a couple more chains for the 20" today on my way home.

Congrats on the saw. I love my 372xp. Remember, pics or it never happened! The oiler on that saw will have a really hard time keeping up with a 32" bar. IMO 28" is the longest bar I would run on a 372 but not sure what Husqvarna's specs say, maybe I'm wrong.

Clyde

The 32 will be nice but once you throw that on and run it for awhile you will see that it it to much. Hence the reason it still looks new. Not a bad thing to have but for most applications it's overkill. I run a 25 inch bar on my 660 and that is usually plenty. I have a 36 but it is just to much bar for most trees. A buddy bought me a brand new 880 couple years back with a 36 inch bar. Incredible machine, but takes a lot to run and handle all day long. For years my father has used his 039 with I believe a 20 inch bar, that provided firewood for many years. My 880 has yet to be broken in yet just don't come across wood big enough to use it every time I cut. What I'm getting at is a big saw is awesome but unless cutting big wood or just have 2k you want to spend a saw that size is perfect. Nothing wrong with double or even triple cutting. You will always be able to find a big saw later they are always for sale after the person selling it has ran a half to full tank through it and then realized they bought an over powered cutting beast that is not light they put it on eBay for 2 thirds the original price. Enjoy your new saw!

Congrats on the saw. I love my 372xp. Remember, pics or it never happened! The oiler on that saw will have a really hard time keeping up with a 32" bar. IMO 28" is the longest bar I would run on a 372 but not sure what Husqvarna's specs say, maybe I'm wrong.

Clyde
Figures... snowed 10" yesterday so I had to shovel the logs out a bit... 60 degrees the day before. Lots of softwood on top of the hardwood that I need to clear first. And a bunch of small birch logs...

Saw is a MONSTER... I'm hooked.

20160206_144208.jpg

Looks brand new did you end up buying new ? If that's used I'd say it looks new. Also if it is used, it's the newer x torq model 372 nice saw.

Also just curious is it fitted with the mesh air filter or the flocked filter ? They come stock with mesh. Mine was letting small particles in through the intake so I replaced it with a flocked filter. I found that to be better but others may have different opinions. Just my thoughts

I like your splitting axe. I know the Stihl axe is probably expensive but I got to say it looks of great quality in the photo. I might have to go look at those stihl axes

Last edited:
Looks brand new did you end up buying new ? If that's used I'd say it looks new. Also if it is used, it's the newer x torq model 372 nice saw.

Also just curious is it fitted with the mesh air filter or the flocked filter ? They come stock with mesh. Mine was letting small particles in through the intake so I replaced it with a flocked filter. I found that to be better but others may have different opinions. Just my thoughts

I like your splitting axe. I know the Stihl axe is probably expensive but I got to say it looks of great quality in the photo. I might have to go look at those stihl axes

It's a 2013. Looks like it's been used maybe a few times. No dirt, grime, or wear on any visible parts. I'll have to take another look at the filter.

That splitting axe is a beast, at $100 it wasn't cheap by any means. Definitely has a top quality feel about it, and seems built to last. It's not quite as heavy as my cheapo maul, but feels better in the hand.

Another vote for the Dolmar 7900/7910. I first ran one last Spring and told myself then it would be my next saw. I was lucky enough to get a burnt up Makita 6421 from HD to rebuild/upgrade to a 7900 and am one happy camper now. While not the case for me locally, I have heard Dolmar does not have the dealer network that Stihl/Husky/Echo have, so something to consider as well. Too bad you are not closer to me - my local Dolmar dealer has a really nice low hour 7900 sitting on his shelf for $575.
I just pulled the trigger on a new Dolmar 7910 with a 20" bar. My current saw is a battery-powered 18"/45cc equivalent and it's great for day-to-day stuff but it has limited run time and I need to stay close to a power source to do any serious cutting. I've got a lot of bucking to do on the site of my future retirement house and right now there's no real infrastructure other than roads so I needed a much more serious saw. I'm looking forward to giving it a workout!

P.S. I really appreciate the great discussions in this thread and others about personal experiences with, and recommendations for, various saws. It's nice to go beyond the marketing hype and hear from real people using these tools in real-world situations. So thanks to everyone for weighing in and helping me to make a more informed decision!

I just pulled the trigger on a new Dolmar 7910 with a 20" bar. My current saw is a battery-powered 18"/45cc equivalent and it's great for day-to-day stuff but it has limited run time and I need to stay close to a power source to do any serious cutting. I've got a lot of bucking to do on the site of my future retirement house and right now there's no real infrastructure other than roads so I needed a much more serious saw. I'm looking forward to giving it a workout!

P.S. I really appreciate the great discussions in this thread and others about personal experiences with, and recommendations for, various saws. It's nice to go beyond the marketing hype and hear from real people using these tools in real-world situations. So thanks to everyone for weighing in and helping me to make a more informed decision!

you're in for a treat when you fire that puppy up for the first time.

Reactions: Hasufel
Status
Not open for further replies.