Another CL scam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
As a public svc I am going to let everybody in on one...If you sell on CL (as I tried with my old insert a few days ago), and get a response fro "Chucks Finn" asking to ship using a "shipping agent" Michael L. Brown in Missouri...It's BS!!!! I did a lil looking on Google and saw its a phishing scam.....Hope this helps!

That scam is still around?!? Jeez, they might as well go rob a bank and take a model-T for their getaway.

Oh man...I didn't know..I've never sold on CL....FAIL!

The names change, but that's a common one.

Glad they didn't get ya

The one youngin that works for me, comes in one morning all excited that he bought a Chevy Blazerreally cheap. then he tells me he Westerned Union'ed the funds to Alaska and she is going to ship it to him. She is in the AirForce yadayada. I said you are kidding right? nope she is shipping it in the morning... well afew days later he comes in all mopey well I did not get the Blazer...how much did you loose?2500.00 dollars
some people still fall fo the scams

If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

Reactions: ScotO
ALWAYS ALWAYS enter the name and email in google search and check. I have found out about many scammers and never been scammed because I do that. Even legit looking inquires are usually a scam. I would say 2 out of 20 responses I get are the real deal and the other 18 are scammers.

Pete

I love it when I list an item on Craigslist and specifically state in the listing that NO EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED. Open up my mailbox the next day and there is a TON of emails (all phishing scammers) in there asking the same damm line...."is the item still available for sale, if so contact my agent for payment and pickup"

I'm about tired of using CL anymore. I usually stick to the local classifieds for that reason.

You know I started putting now scam I will not ship to an APO or foreign country as well as I will not deal with a broker on the bottom of the ad. It seems to have cut down on the spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.