1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another CL scam

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by James02, Oct 19, 2012.

1. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    As a public svc I am going to let everybody in on one...If you sell on CL (as I tried with my old insert a few days ago), and get a response fro "Chucks Finn" asking to ship using a "shipping agent" Michael L. Brown in Missouri...It's BS!!!! I did a lil looking on Google and saw its a phishing scam.....Hope this helps!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    That scam is still around?!? Jeez, they might as well go rob a bank and take a model-T for their getaway.
  3. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Oh man...I didn't know..I've never sold on CL....FAIL!
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    The names change, but that's a common one.

Glad they didn't get ya
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    The one youngin that works for me, comes in one morning all excited that he bought a Chevy Blazerreally cheap. then he tells me he Westerned Union'ed the funds to Alaska and she is going to ship it to him. She is in the AirForce yadayada. I said you are kidding right? nope she is shipping it in the morning... well afew days later he comes in all mopey well I did not get the Blazer...how much did you loose?2500.00 dollars
    some people still fall fo the scams
  6. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

ALWAYS ALWAYS enter the name and email in google search and check. I have found out about many scammers and never been scammed because I do that. Even legit looking inquires are usually a scam. I would say 2 out of 20 responses I get are the real deal and the other 18 are scammers.

Pete
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I love it when I list an item on Craigslist and specifically state in the listing that NO EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED. Open up my mailbox the next day and there is a TON of emails (all phishing scammers) in there asking the same damm line...."is the item still available for sale, if so contact my agent for payment and pickup"

I'm about tired of using CL anymore. I usually stick to the local classifieds for that reason.
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

You know I started putting now scam I will not ship to an APO or foreign country as well as I will not deal with a broker on the bottom of the ad. It seems to have cut down on the spam.