Another Creosote Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Getting used to how my new insert burns and am wondering about the fire bricks in the fire box.

When I am starting a fire up they are dark - glass clean. I usually begin shutting the air down when wood is charred and temp. on top is 400-500*. Bricks in the fire box will stay dark until the burn progresses some. Eventually they will be 'clean' with some dark spots on the back wall where logs weren't burning hot enough. Glass generally stays clear.

This insert usually stays at 600* or hotter once it is doing it's thing with a fresh load of wood so I know it is hot. I usually have the primary air shut about 60%. I'm just puzzled by the bricks staying dark so long.

In my old insert the fire bricks cleared up much more quickly even though the fire was cooler.

I know it will be asked - Yes, my wood is dry - less than 20% moisture. Mixed hard woods - same that I used in our old insert.

perplexed said:
Getting used to how my new insert burns and am wondering about the fire bricks in the fire box.

In my old insert the fire bricks cleared up much more quickly even though the fire was cooler.

Your old insert might have had the lightweight porous type bricks, which come up to temp quicker.

Is your wood dry? .....:lol:

Jimbob said:
perplexed said:

Your old insert might have had the lightweight porous type bricks, which come up to temp quicker.

Is your wood dry? .....:lol:

That helps. Didn't know fire bricks came in different densities.

I'll ignore your second question.......and revel in the fact that I live in a city that is not nearly as cold as the one where you live...and probably not as wet either... :lol:

Sorry - I just couldn't help myself....

Status
Not open for further replies.