Another customer with a new Big E issue ***visual aids***

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
A customer calls me and says his AWF pellets are burning with almost no ash and making a large clinker in the ash pan. He further says he has no damper control with the flame. I ask him to do a good cleaning and I will stop by later.

I stop by to find the stove running and like he said the flame was not changing with the damper control. I also found the POF snap disk was blown apart but still wired to the stove.

After looking at the stove I found the body of the unit between the ashpan and door warped. The snap disk was replaced and with the help of a crow bar and a couple blocks of wood we straightened the bent stove body. Also found the same issue under the ashpan.

Just another thing to keep an eye on with the Breckwell stoves. I will call Breckwell on Monday and see what they say but I do know what I will hear, "Hmmm, stove 3 yrs old? It is out of Warranty, what do you want us to do????"

Eric

Attachments

• bige3.jpg
    bige3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 343
  • bige2.jpg
    bige2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 350
  • bige.jpg
    bige.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 361
In three years he said he has never hit #5. The stove is in a cellar to keep the pipes from freezing and the laundryroom/breezeway warm. Normally on 3 but warmer days on #2. There is a wood stove in the frontroom.

Eric

I wonder where they got their metal stove pieces from and how long this has been happening?

Eric I'll bet that your fix doesn't last long.

j-takeman said:
I am thinking over fired to myself! Spent to much time on max heat setting?

Why have a 'Max' heat setting if it's going to ruin the stove? Shouldn't there be a 'Max Tolerable' snap disk on there to prevent over firing? Although the Quads are no Rolls Royce, I'm glad I didn't get a Breckwel.

tjnamtiw said:
j-takeman said:
I am thinking over fired to myself! Spent to much time on max heat setting?

Why have a 'Max' heat setting if it's going to ruin the stove? Shouldn't there be a 'Max Tolerable' snap disk on there to prevent over firing? Although the Quads are no Rolls Royce, I'm glad I didn't get a Breckwel.

You can use the max setting on it, Its just meant for short periods though. Not recommended to use for more than 2 hours. When I bought my bigE the dealer didn't mention that, I found out when I read the manual while setting up the stove. Would I have bought it if I knew it, Probably not!

Status
Not open for further replies.